• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What is the next step? Am i doing okay?

Hi All!

So i got on the pepper growing train, and started to grow some peppers from seeds, thanks to some generous members on this forum!

I started these peppers in peat pellets, and i think they are ready to go into bigger cups. I am uncertain as to what i should do.

Also, i have a 65 watt equivalent CFL light. is that sufficient, or do i need something brighter and more powerful? I usually leave the seedlings outside in the sun, but i guess that isn't doing the trick.

Thanks for the help! Any critique of the pictures will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

-Sean

IMG_20120507_235411.jpg

IMG_20120501_151803.jpg

Get them as close to the light as you can and that should hopefully stop them from stretching. I take them out of the germination box and whack 'em straight under my light as soon as they hook (pop through the pellet surface).

I wouldn't pot up just yet. I usually wait for the second set of true leaves.

When it does come time to pot up though, bury the little buggers pretty deep close to the baby leaves. That will help shorten them to avoid them becoming too tall and lanky.

Good luck!

Thanks! Would a CFL light work? Or I was thinking about buying this :

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=390407500133

What do you guys think?

Couldn't tell you, sorry... I don't know anything about lights myself! ;)

I'm sure somebody here will be able to help though.

As far as lighting goes I'm sure that LED setup would work since it is made to grow plants, however a better alternative IMO is good ol T8 fluoro's. Lowes has T8 fixtures for like 15$ each http://www.lowes.com/pd_371819-28839-SL-1_4294896174_4294937087_?productId=3579726&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Fluorescent%2BLighting%2BAccessories_4294896174_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_price%7C0&facetInfo=

then you can buy 6500 T8 lights for like 8$ a two pack, its what I use and my plants love it, and they don't put off much heat either. Then all I did was buy 10$ worth of PVC pipe and built a stand to hold them, this is what it looks like
20120304_100828.jpg

Good luck growing! and keep us updated!

I used a CFL set up for my indoor grow. It worked well but my goal was only to grow them until they could go outside. But CFLs will work good. but for the number of plants you have started you will need more than one 65 watt cfl. Also since you are using plastic cups i might start to separate some of those seedlings. you have quit a few together and the longer you wait the more the roots will become twisted together. Best of luck with your grow! start a growlog :)

Also since you are using plastic cups i might start to separate some of those seedlings. you have quit a few together and the longer you wait the more the roots will become twisted together.

Good point. Usually I only keep one seedling from each pellet and thin the rest so I didn't think of it that way.

Nice! thank you guys! I have an old T8 flour with a fixture that i will use today. Thank you all for the ideas! I will put them to good use!

Back