Newbie grower in WA

Hey there,

For my x-mas present my partner built me a indoor greenhouse to grow peppers and tomatoes in year round, so I'm pretty new at this! I'm really glad I found this forum since I can use all the help I can get! Any and all tips or advice would be most appreciated!

I do have a question for those of you in the know. I'm growing jalapa, cherry bombs and kung pao peppers from starters that I got at a local nursery about 3 weeks ago. I have my lights set at 18-6 and haven't noticed much upward growth but all of the plants have started to flower. My question is how do I get the growth out of them before the flowering stage? I'd really like to get a larger quantity of peppers for my efforts!!

Thanks!!!!!

Hello Amy, from Twisp, WA... (the dry side) lol

Stick around, there is a lot of knowlege and experience here.
And have fun!

:welcome:

Thanks Scoville!! Twisp is the dry side, I'm hoping to have 20 acres up near Tonasket in the next 5 years, we won't to get out and live off the grid!

Thanks keybrdkid09!

:welcome: from Buckley, WA

Which area are you from?

What are you using for fert and how often? There are a lot of glogs you can check out to get an idea of what others are using.

:welcome: amydarina from another "dry-sider" in the Methow valley.

We're having a NW Chilefest party in September, Check it out here, we'd love to have you and your partner come join us.

Check out the growing section for info in the flowers question. I'm not a huge grower, but I think you pinch the blossoms to keep the plants growing before setting fruit.

Lots of great info in the glogs and grow sections, read, read read!

Good Luck! looking forward to hearing of your growing adventures.

Ann aka salsalady

Hey everyone, thanks for the welcome.

Lets see:

habaneroheat8, I'm up in Edmonds just north of Seattle!! Haven't added any fertilizers yet since I only transplanted them 2-3 weeks ago and I used a 50-25-25 mix of organic soil, steer manure and compost. I'll prolly start that in a few weeks.

PapaBill, the plants range btwn 6 to 10 inches now and in 3 quart plastic pots, as soon as they get larger I'll transplant them again into a larger smart pot.

salsalady, thanks for the invite, if I can get time off work we'll be over!!! I actually went and pinched the pods off last night after reading through more of the post and saw that you can do that to make the plant grow bigger. Fingers crossed that it will work!!

Now if I could figure out how to post a photo from my computer I'd put my babies on here!

Ok can't figure out the photo post thing, but here's a link that should get you to a photo I uploaded to facebook

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3940516199295&set=a.3567987006298.162276.1471624996&type=3&theater

Back