• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pollinating blooms???

Okay, don't laugh - I've never tried growing anything indoors before!

The Thai Dragons I saved from the garden are blooming but the blooms fall of and no fruit takes their place. Am I right to presume this is because they are not being pollinated - especailly since I try to keep bumblebees and other stinging insects out of my house?

If I do need to pollinate them, how is that done? This really was not covered in Birds-N-Bees 101.

chile plants will pollinate themselves as they have both male and female rude bits. you can use a brush, cotton bud, finger etc to transfer pollen between buds if you wish but it is not necessary. you are most likely experiencing blossom drop for some other reason. maybe overwatering, not enough sunlight, over fertilising, too cold indoors... hopefully someone here with 'growing indoors knowledge' will give you a little better advice than mine.

Flower drop is normal, especially this time of year here when the hours of sun are decreasing. Certain Pubescens I believe need to be hand pollinated but like chilliman64 said, most will pollinate themselves.

Back