• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing in pots

I have a few varieties of chili kicking around the sunny patches in my yard... all in pots.
I'm currently renting, so I have to make my chili stash portable in case of the inevitable... I get EVICTED

Now obviously I'm not having the same results as if my plants were in the soil. However, I was wondering if anyone here could share their wisdom on how to get my plants to flourish?

Cheers!

* don't over fertilise
* don't over water
* don't underwater
* do try to use some compost in the pots
* check the dryness of the soil daily by poking your finger in to about the 2nd knuckle - if it comes out dry, water the plant
* make sure they get plenty of sun
* use mulch
* do regular snail hunts, use baits if you can
* try to water in the mornings if you can (this helps prevent bacterial issues by having wet plants at night)
* don't use too much nitrogen

Chilliman you Legend!!!

Thats the simple, concise tips i was after!

Now what is the best fertilizer? I'm assuming that something that dosent have a high nitrogen level.

I'm using miraclegrow atm, but methinks this isnt the best.

Would a fish emulsion be better? or is there a commercially available fertilizer that is best for chillies?

-Laurence

I used to use MG, but I quickly found out that my "soil" (mostly sand that I've beefed up a bit) has a high salt content....and so does MG. My plants didn't like that too much.

So, I went to a local nursery and they told me about this stuff called microrhizae (sp?). It's a dry enzyme that you blend in with your soil and it really helps with root growth. I saw an immediate (24 hours) turnaround in my plants. It's pretty expensive, but well worth the cost if you're looking into some really healthy and productive plants.

Thanks for the suggestions, but i'm not sure on the suggested brands of fertilizer's availability in Australia.
I can see that biobizz have a warehouse/factory in Western Australia, however i'm not sure if their products are available on the east coast...
I'll take a trip to my local nursery to find out!

FM - go to Bunnings and get some Phostrogen (in an orange box) - it is a powdered tomato fertiliser, as chillies and tomatoes (and eggplants among others) are closely related, they seem to enjoy the same/similar ferts and nutrients. I used Phostrogen last year and had good results. you can try using diluted Seasol on a regular basis also.

I use a weak Nitrosol solution until buds are appearing then switch to the Phostrogen - 1ts in a 9 litre bucket then fill with water. The Seasol I use fortnightly. Just remember it is better to use less than the manufacturers recommended dosage than more - especially when growing in containers.

many will steer you clear of MiracleGro. it has been described to me like giving a kid some sugar for energy instead of something healthy, also it accumulates in the pot. (see Pam, I have been listening to you!)

after all that, a lot of growers don't fertilise at all, preferring to rely on compost matter, soil and water and still get excellent results. me, I like to help it along a little bit, especially when I start my season late and have no intention of overwintering my plants or reusing the soil next season.

fisting_mayfield said:
Thanks again chilliman.

I'll duck down to bunnings when i vote howard out later on today

Don't forget to get out there & vote today Aussies. Unless your keen to throw them another $50.

-Enough said - No Politics in THP :!:

Back