• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Big Ol' Thick Steak

I suppose this could go in the Grilling section but I cooked these indoors...

I asked the butcher at my local supermarket to cut me some 2 1/4-inch
thick New York Strip steaks and he of course obliged. I've always pre-
pared the thicker steaks by searing first and then finishing off in the oven
but a recent Cook's Illustrated article suggested doing just the opposite!

Let the steaks rest for an hour before cooking.

For a 2-inch steak, give or take a quarter-inch, they recommend putting
the steaks on a rack and baking at 275 F for 20 minutes, bringing the
center of the steak up to around 90 F. Then you sear it on both sides
for one to two minutes. Bringing the middle of the steak and then searing
gives an evenly-cooked steak and gets rid of that unappealing grey line
separating the inside and outside of the meat.

Of course, following cooking, tent with foil for 10 minutes or so.

This was seriously one of my best steak experiences ever.

Pre-oven:

IMAG2285.jpg

Sear:

IMAG2286.jpg

On the money:

IMAG2287.jpg

Om nom nom!

IMAG2288.jpg

I used Stubb's Beef Marinade with a couple liberal squirts of Sriracha.
Stubb's makes my favorite commercial marinades.

Since I'm into ceramics and a buddy own's his own kiln, I've actually cooked a really thick steak at cone 06 or around 1700 degrees. I think the steak was around 2", but it could have been thicker and come out just fine. I think we cooked it for about 3 minutes until the outside had a nice dark sear on it. Since the temp was soo high we let it rest for about 3 more min and it came out perfect!

TB - I am not bragging, but I have eaten at some FINE steak houses all over the world.
I LOVE Fogo de chao, Ruth's Chris, Flemings, Alexander's, Bones etc. But this one perfect storm of flavor put the beat down on ANYTHING I've had before. We make a lot a great meals, and I'm not really sure what put this one over the top, but I want more! :)

I forgot to mention that the beef was raised LOCAL, US Prime - dry aged at my butcher!!

YUM!

It ain't braggin' when you tell the truth Kat. I too have eaten at some pretty good steak joints. Emeril's Del Monico at the Venetian was far and away the best steak I've ever eaten in a restaurant.

The dry aged meat is probably what sent your steak over the top in combo with the blue cheese and roasted garlic which I think are excellent with steak.

Life is too short not to enjoy the good stuff now and again.

Katrina that is an amazing looking steak. I would have loved to see inside... Anyway, I'll throw my hat into this ring.

100_0484.jpg

100_0486.jpg

100_0487.jpg

I made up a wet rub of rosemary, thyme, tarragon, oregano, basil, garlic, onion powder, fresh cracked black pepper, sea salt, and olive oil. Into the 450F oven with some beef broth and water bath. More to come later.

Talk about a thread hijack!

:lol:

Poor robbie.

Back