• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Kids these days...

My nieces and nephews just decided to stop by for a surprise visit. They range from 4-10... and are in to everything. Before I could warn them, they raided my ghost chili candies from Thinkgeek:

ec0c_super_hot_candy_balls.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/ec0c/?srp=1

Needless to say, hilarity ensued. Tears, gulping milk, etc. Glad they didn't go for the bag of habaneros... that would have been hard to explain. Perhaps now they will ask before just grabbing things... but probably not. :)

how did your 4-10 year olds just stop by???? you should call there parents and tell them that they are roaming around. i hope they didnt drive!

Do you work for that website?

Not the first time you've plugged their products. ;)

No, but quite a bit of my money goes there. :) If they offered me a job, I would probably take it, but it would be a long commute from where I live. :) I work in IT, so a lot of their stuff is relative to my interests. The fact that they employ a few chiliheads only makes it more enticing. :-P

sicman: They are visiting my parents... their house is about 1/4 mile away, and you can walk through fields to get here without having to cross any roads... so they tend to pop in and out. Kind of bothersome at times, but they are usually somewhat well behaved... eh... well... yeah, somewhat. :liar:

When we hear the voices approaching, we just try to hide the booze. :drunk: lol...

Hilarity ensued? Leaving something (supposedly) hot like that where a 4 year old can get hold of it? You're lucky child protective services are not involved, especially now that you wrote that they pop in and out so many times...

Whatever... they have been told by their grandparents, parents, and us not to come unannounced, but they still do.

They have been warned not to get into things, but they still do. I don't have kids. I don't expect kids. I don't child proof my house, because only adults are invited here. Are you one of those people that thinks it is justified when a burglar sues a homeowner for cutting themselves on a broken window after smashing it with a brick?

I just thought it was a funny story, with no injuries, and a few surprised children that we promptly relieved with some ice cold milk. Good grief. We don't need a nanny state here.

No it wasn't a funny story. If you have 4 year olds running around, grow up and take responsibility if you are going to have that stuff around. It's called common sense. Ande whatever you do funny guy, don't buy firearms. You cannot handle hot food products.

I don't blame burglars, I shoot them.

Nanny state? A four year old eating something that hot is hilarious? You are sick, man.

Kids will be kids and lessons will be learned. I'm not saying we shouldn't protect children... by all means! But where do you draw the line?

Sounds like a clear case of "touched the pot and got burnt" to me. Maybe the little ones will think twice about getting into someone's stuff without permission next time...?

Kids will be kids and lessons will be learned. I'm not saying we shouldn't protect children... by all means! But where do you draw the line?

Sounds like a clear case of "touched the pot and got burnt" to me. Maybe the little ones will think twice about getting into someone's stuff without permission next time...?

Perhaps... but I am not holding my breath :) These are about as hot as a pickled jalapeno. Which the older boys like to dare each other to eat... After the initial shock, the 2 younger girls asked if they could have another one. They are basically chewy cinnamon candies with a light dusting of jolokia powder on them. I just found the surprise on their faces rather humorous. :)

And thanks THP, I couldn't have said it better.

No it wasn't a funny story. If you have 4 year olds running around, grow up and take responsibility if you are going to have that stuff around. It's called common sense. Ande whatever you do funny guy, don't buy firearms. You cannot handle hot food products.

Nanny state? A four year old eating something that hot is hilarious? You are sick, man.
You're kidding. Right? It is hilarious. They didn't get injured and they are the ones that got into the candy. That's like not giving a child a glass soda bottle becuase they might knock a tooth out. And what I got from it, they enjoyed it...

Good to hear that they were OK after the incident and no serious injury was caused, westin. Had the case been any different and you came on here laughing, that would have been a different story! (Not saying you would.... just saying is all.)

I did plenty of stupid stuff growing up as a kid--ironically, most of which I was protected against but found a way to do anyway! And it's funny... I'm not sure I even learned the lesson half the time either! The first chilli I ever ate when I was like 5 was growing in my great aunt's veggie patch, fenced off with chicken wire, and I still managed to get in there and pinch one. And on top of physical protection, I was also verbally warned. I tell ya, it hurt like hell but look at me now.... :lol:

Good to hear that they were OK after the incident and no serious injury was caused, westin. Had the case been any different and you came on here laughing, that would have been a different story! (Not saying you would.... just saying is all.)

I did plenty of stupid stuff growing up as a kid--ironically, most of which I was protected against but found a way to do anyway! And it's funny... I'm not sure I even learned the lesson half the time either! The first chilli I ever ate when I was like 5 was growing in my great aunt's veggie patch, fenced off with chicken wire, and I still managed to get in there and pinch one. And on top of physical protection, I was also verbally warned. I tell ya, it hurt like hell but look at me now.... :lol:

Haha... yeah... I had an experience similar with my dad's habanero plant... but I turned out ok... and I ended up liking chilis... Can't say whether it was a result of that or not, but it sticks out in my head. I don't want to have to keep razor wire around my garden to keep the kids out... They would probably hurt themselves more on the the deterrents than the peppers. :) We can do our best to protect the children from serious dangers, but removing any and everything that could possibly cause them displeasure is nearly impossible. That is where experience comes into play.

Are you for real? You want to call DSS on him because the kids got into a little hot candy? I think you need to have your guns taken away from you, your temper appears to be a danger to those around you.

My parents let me eat hot candy when I was around 5 or 6. Better call DSS, I had a whole bucket of fireballs.

Live and Learn. Somethings you just have to learn on your own. Cannot be hand held forever. To this day I still drink hot sauces straight from the bootle and eat hot peppers straight. Dr. hates it but dam it is a gulity pleasure.

When I was a young upstart, 4 or 5, my Mom, Grandma, and Aunts were all in the kitchen cooking up a storm.
There were some JalapeƱos, and Serranos on the counter, and I kept pestering them for one.
After a while and a lot of rejection, I waited for just the right moment, and jacked a Serrano behind there back!
A few minutes later, they heard me crying outside.
That's not quite how I remember it, but that's their story and they're sticking to it.

Moral to the story, I didn't die, and unless you make it physically impossible for children to get into whatever,
They WILL get into whatever.

Back