• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

BEST PEPPERS FOR A BEGINNER?

hello all i have two plants that were given to me that are very small..i wanted to start growing my own.What peppers would you guys recommend getting for best yield to give me some growing confidence?i live in south florida

Orange habs, jalapenos, tobasco, and cayenne. All can be purchased at the big box stores :dance: :dance: :dance:

This is a great tip. Cayenne plants usually have a rather large yield, and are fairly easy to grow. Same with the orange habs. I am growing jalapenos for the first time this year, and even after my cat ate most of the leaves off the plant, I was able to transplant it outside, and I am seeing great growth from it. I haven't tried growing tobasco peppers, but it is on my list... :) Best of luck to you! One thing to remember is that most of these peppers grow wild without any outside help, so don't stress yourself out too much. :)

Most annuum and baccatum varieties gave me great confidence last year, as they were heavy producers like Aji Limon, Aji Cristal, and Costeno Amarillo.

Orange habs, jalapenos, tobasco, and cayenne. All can be purchased at the big box stores :dance: :dance: :dance:
thanx i have a jalapeno and a cayenne looking forward to big things

This is a great tip. Cayenne plants usually have a rather large yield, and are fairly easy to grow. Same with the orange habs. I am growing jalapenos for the first time this year, and even after my cat ate most of the leaves off the plant, I was able to transplant it outside, and I am seeing great growth from it. I haven't tried growing tobasco peppers, but it is on my list... :) Best of luck to you! One thing to remember is that most of these peppers grow wild without any outside help, so don't stress yourself out too much. :)
thanx im nervous im gonna buy some seeds and mess this up.just got to do it i guess

Most annuum and baccatum varieties gave me great confidence last year, as they were heavy producers like Aji Limon, Aji Cristal, and Costeno Amarillo.
thank you and thanx for the tuna recipe ill have to try that

Yeah, Aji Lemon has always done me well and is a hardier sort of plant. It has a decent tolerance threshold as far as hotter and cooler conditions go.

I realize it is a big disappointment when peppers/plants don't turn out... but it happens. Just have fun with it. I find a lot of enjoyment in gardening, and it is definitely something I look forward to after a long day at work. I sometimes just wander around my garden lifting up leaves, and checking on the pods. I have already lost one tomato plant this year, and almost a second one... but that is alright... Just chalk it up to experience. :) I am sure you will do fine.

Romy6's post is pretty right on for easy to grow and hardy chiles. BigBoxStores cater to easy/hardy growing. Superhots are probably not a good choice for a new grower. Good growth and good yield are important for new growers.

You are fortunate to be in Florida and can get started with some of the easy-to-grows and then in a few months, add some others.

Have Fun!

Hi, from personal experience, Hungarian black, Bolivian Rainbow and cayenne pepper plants, sturdy, fast growing, good yields and relative pest resistant, looking forward to try others.

Super Chili was recommended by AJ a while back. I rescued two from the market at 75 cents each. Not only are they growing fast with the most pods, they have required little attention. I'm a noob. Trust me. These are as close to a sure thing I can imagine.

[font="'comic sans ms"]Hi, Basically what you find at a farmers market or garden center will be ideal for your area. Big Box stores will offer the same in Miami and in Seattle. Aji Colorado and Bishops Hat/Cap do rock out the pods !! If you see a Kung Pao they will put out so many you get tired picking them ! It also will overwinter well in a pot inside or clip it back and cover it with leaves or mulch. Datil peppers would be ideal !!! [/font]

I live in the tampa area, I don't know if I just got a hold of some weak seeds, or what... But Datil was one of the ones I had the most difficulty starting. Out of 30 seeds, I have 1 plant thats supposed to be a datil, and it has no pods.

I have 365 pepper plants going now, with over 100 varieties on my Glist...

But Datil is a florida native.

I got one out of six Datils started but the 'only child' is now getting along OK.
Red Habs came on fast and are going gangbusters!
Can't wait for pods, as this strain is supposed to be extra flavorful :fireball:

Back