• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bringing seeds overseas

Just curious to know the legalities of transporting pepper seeds and other garden seeds (yes, all legal...) overseas.

For example if I fly from Canada to the UK, then on to Eastern Europe. Would I be putting myself at risk of fine or arrest by bringing my seed collection with me into a foreign country?

Would it be smarter to send them ahead in a package?

It's only illegal if you get caught.... ;)

I wouldn't have a clue on the difference in legalities between the two (I assume they would be similar--if not the same?), but posting ahead does sound like the easiest, least-stuffing-around option.....

Depending on whether you ask a canadian, or someone from the UK, from what I hear Canada is subject to the queen, which makes me think your laws would be very similar to those of the UK?

I know as an american to import seeds one must have a permit.

Easiest way I know of to get seeds through customs is in the fresh pod.

Put desired pods in a tightly sealed gal. jar of water.

Label it "Moms Pickled Peppers".

Processed stuff is legal.Fresh has to have a permit from dept. of agriculture-bug free etc..

I've gotten pods from Mexico and Peru using that method.

The pods get waterlogged but the seeds are fine.

Customs thinks the peppers were pickled and doesn't open the jar.
If they did open the jar the water is hot...tastes like peppers.

Don't try and hide the jar...claim it.

BE carefull,at least with Rocotos and Aji Amarillo,the water gets really spicey.

As hot as the peppers are.
Were gloves when handling the peppers.
They are covered with pepper water.

From Peru and Mexico to the U.S they let it be carry on luggage.

I don't think from the U.S. to elsewhere they would let you carry it on though.
I was told they box it up and you get it back when you get off the plane.I hear they do it with booze too,any jar of liquid.
I think glass jars are a no no along with over a certain amount of liquids.
They don't want you pepper spraying the crew and hijacking the plane to Brazil to get some wild peppers. :)

Mail your seed collection, they do not check mail for seeds. I just received a packet of seeds from Trinidad and am looking for a package from Grenada soon.

If you mail seeds they usually make it BUT not always.
I've had customs confiscate seeds before.
If something they see about the envelope attracts their attention they open it.

You might get an envelope with no seeds and a note in it saying since there wasn't an ag. form for the seeds so they took them.

I've lost seeds from Sweeden,Netherlands,England,France and Thailand before.
But I trade a lot...

Sounds like you much more experience with it than me. My personal experiences with mailed seeds has been good.

Here in the Land of Oz, for mailed pepper seeds to be let through, it is required only that they are labelled with their botanical name and no non-seed matter be present along with 'em. No forms or nothing.... :D

That being said, while I have had plenty of evenlopes from seed vendors opened, inspected and let through, I have never had one opened--well, not that I can recall--from somebody who was just sending me seeds. I can't see the case being any different but I sometimes wonder.... :think:

Dad has put the dried seeds (one variety) in with his blood pressure medicine. "Who'd take medicine away from an old man??"

That's how I got my Chiltepin seeds from Mexico.

I could prolly get seeds down to southern Mexico by carrying them with me, but getting them back would be a pain.
Oaxaca is famous for "other things", so the check leaving/arriving from there is very intensive.

An Update:

I brought my seed collection with me after all, and had NO problems.

No probs flying out of Canada, not a care at British customs, and no stress entering Ukraine. And yes I actually had them all in my carry-on bag, perfectly visable for scanners and inspections. A sniffer dog came up to my bag at Luton Airport in London and didn't even blink, just kept moving along wagging his tail. Strange because my seed collection does have a very strong pepper smell. I guess he had more important things to smell for.

:dance:

If you mail seeds they usually make it BUT not always.
I've had customs confiscate seeds before.
If something they see about the envelope attracts their attention they open it.

You might get an envelope with no seeds and a note in it saying since there wasn't an ag. form for the seeds so they took them.

I've lost seeds from Sweeden,Netherlands,England,France and Thailand before.
But I trade a lot...
You're right, if you've recived the "green" sticker you're subject to future inspections, at least that's for incoming USA customs.......simply change the name or company info...

Back