• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

What is the fastest way to build heat tolerance?

I love the flavor and feel of spicy foods, but I have a very weak mouth. I had 1 habanero and I ran to the sink. :confused: I want to build my heat tolerance fast so I can enjoy more of a variety of my favorite type of food.

You have to start lower and build up. A hab is somewhere around 300k scoviles. Start with something like a jalapeno or with a more mild hot sauce. You can start by just adding a few drops of tabasco or sriracha and by adding more every time you eat develop a pretty linear resistance slowly but surely

ehm, eating TSMB everyday for a year? knowing your heat limit is the first step, if a hab is your limit then chew that everyday until it's not, after that take a little leap of faith chewing the 7Pot series, i hope i help :dance:

Eat the hottest thing you are able to. It might be a habanero. Don't have any remedys. Make your body will get used to the heat. Then, eat hotter peppers and sauces (500,000-1,000,000 SHU's).

Yup, I agree with Snacks...

Eat a Butch T (whole, raw, with seeds and placenta) today, and tomorrow Habaneros will not be nearly so bad.

Of course, you might want to keep some TP in the freezer...

+1

My thoughts exactly!!
You may not have much of a tongue left afterwards, but that’s the price of admission!!

I started out thinking tabasco was too hot. So I put it on everything. Eventually I jumped up to habs. Now I eat a hot sauce that is roughly twice as hot as habs. Its gradual progression and eating spicy food regularly without over doing it. Your stomach will get irritated eventually if you eat too much capsaicin when you're not used to it.

I doubt you've had real thai food, because thai food has a nice kick to it. Id say, in terms of heat, that thai is below jamacian, jamacian is below habanero, habanero is below indian, and so on.

I wish there was a real jamacian place around here.

I generally rebuild my tolerance about every summer. I don't eat nearly as much spice in the winter for some reason. I generally start out with serranos, then move up to cayenne pods [if available], then jump to the orange habs commonly found in grocery stores. All the while eating hot sauce on about everything. Lately I have been hooked on the CaJohn's 10 Jolokia sauce... But I just used the last little bit for lunch today. Granted, not all of this is just to build tolerance, but an appreciation of the flavor... I have no desire to participate in any sort of eating competition [though they are fun to watch on occasion] -- I just crave spicy food during the hotter months.

If you are afraid of upsetting your stomach, try eating some rice or mashed potatoes [or other starchy food] before eating the pod. I have started dicing a habanero or two, and putting into a bowl of rice with some soy sauce. It is wonderful. Great flavor, heat, etc. Just keep eating the stuff, your tolerance will be up before you know it.

I doubt you've had real thai food, because thai food has a nice kick to it.

A lot of times you have to specify 'Thai Hot' at Thai places. If you ask for hot, it is usually pretty mild. At least in my experience.

Just eat stuff that makes you wish you could make.it.stop burniƱg but dont try to remidy it! And here is a thai story for.you. i ordered it thai hot. A 15 out of ten please. Food comes and i still jas to add my bhut/jonah powder to it. Made it retarded hot and waitress comes by asks witha grin" hot enough?" " not close i replied. Would you like a.bite to see how.hot i like it?" She takes a small bite her face turns.bright red and says " you crazy white man!!!" And runs.to the back!

A lot of times you have to specify 'Thai Hot' at Thai places. If you ask for hot, it is usually pretty mild. At least in my experience.

Even at some Thai places they're not going to cook the food hot enough. It's rare in my experience to find Thai, Szechuan, Jamaican, Indian, and etc restaurants that will actually cook with hot peppers that are actually hot. All the Thai I have tried around here is mild.

We talk about this all the time. Everyone wants to eat the hottest peppers in the world and wonder how to "train" for it. I hate to break it to everyone, but normal people aren't wired to eat raw supers....I don't care what anyone says, eating a raw super is gonna make you hate life. If you have had a dozen BTs, the 13th is still gonna suck. The ONLY difference is the fact that you KNOW you aren't gonna die at the end of it.

Screw taking baby steps because NOTHING IN THIS WORLD WILL PREPARE YOU FOR A FRESH SUPER LIKE A FRESH SUPER! All you are gonna do is spend weeks or months "preparing" to eat a Brain Strain, only to realize (while you are eating it) that it was worthless, you are still hating yourself for making that decision!

Eat a good meal, drink a glass of milk, eat a banana, wait 20, eat that B%^&H and hold on. Also, water doesn't do anything for ya, milk will be your best friend...But who wants to ruin the ride?

Good luck.

I'm with you MGOLD, nut up and be ready for the ride. Eating supers is such a conflict for me. On one hand I love the rush, on the other I always seem to ask myself what the hell I was thinking. But, I always go back.

One thing I can recommend is eating the first few you try with food. I can eat a couple supers with a nice burger, but alone they still make me sweat.

What's the rush to eat super hots? There are tons of great mild, medium, and hot peppers. Enjoy the ride, no need to being in severe pain every time you eat a chile pepper just to train to eat a super hot. I say let it come when it comes. I believe there is way too much focus on super hot peppers, that's my opinion.

Eh, I took baby steps and took my time getting used to the heat and I've went from thinking jalapenos were too hot to thinking fresh habs are mild and bhut jolokia powder is great for cooking.

I've seen a young guy eat a bhut jolokia without making much of a face and I've seen grown men flip out eating one. Your genetics willdetermine which you are. I'm not really sure what my genetics are but I eat fairly spicy food regularly without issue.

Actually funny enough the young guy that ate a bhut without making much of a face got blasted by the youtunbe community because chiliheads refuse to accept that some of us don't flip out when we eat superhots.

Back