• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Lamb leg

Scored a $20 lamb leg from the butcher today & thought I'd take my first attempt at it in the new BBQ. Initially I shoved it on the top rack & half closed the lid. That worked fine until it all caught fire.....
Then I stuffed it in a deep baking dish still on the top rack & put some red soil spuds on the grill...lowered the temp and waited.

Was worth waiting for...

000_0582_SML.jpg

000_0585_SML.jpg

On my second plate :lol: I added a little 'pain'

000_0586_SML.jpg

All I learned is the second attempt is coming real soon.

practice practice practice..... Looks tasty :drooling:
Can you fit a drip pan below the rack or shut off back burners? this would help in flare ups as well

Looks good.I agree with Luckydog try a drip pan. I do not use gas I am old timer and use wood and keep a spray bottle on hand to stop the flare ups.
Dan

LET IT BURN

Thanks. It does look crispier in the pic than it really was...had a great flavor too, but next time the baking dish. I really should leave the charcoal crisping until I get the 44 drum finished, it's not a good look to have a gas burner with 3 foot flames coming out the top :lol:

Its prime bbq season too!

I had non-stop bbqs for a week last week, too much of a good thing i think.

I think i'll fire one up tonight!

Thanks for the inspiration

No guesses what I'm having for lunch today, only dilemma is what sauce to put on...Hmmm, chilliman64's Yellow Hab sauce.:fireball:. I'll try to remember to get a pic & post it in the 'Last Spicy meal....' thread.

I thanked my BBQ today by removing the pathetic 1/4" self tapping screws that were holding the legs on. I re-drilled an 8mm hole right through and put in some galvo 5/8 hex bolts with flat & spring washers and wing-nuts.
Now I can take the legs off in under a minute & pack the whole thing in a car trunk.

Another thing to remember about crusting is the sugars in what you are using ie rubs or sauces. Any sauce should be applied at or near end and a mop will keep moist....

But I like little burnt bits like "burnt ends" on spares :drooling:

Have fun nothing beats Q'ing any way you do it

Mate thats alot of "pain " you put on that lamb. Did it make you do the "damn thats hot dance". My kids love it when I do the dance. lol
And Marks yellow hab sauce is magic too.

I sliced up my first Hab & put the whole thing on a lamb sandwich ....spent the next 20 mins stuffing my face with yoghurt :lol:

I'll never learn

I did a lambleg in Nov.I made two walls from bricks in the smoker an made 2 fires behind them....closed the lid and opend all vents.It worked great...

231_RIMG0465_1.jpg

and tasted fantastic

231_RIMG0472_1.jpg

Added a thermometer to my $99 BBQ yesterday. After quick-hitching the legs on it & now this the thing set me back all of $114.

As it turned out I've been cooking everything way too high. Gave it a good test run last night.

Lamb leg, Extra Virgin Olive oil, fresh rosemary, fresh parsly, whole garlic cloves, thick sliced fresh ginger. Red potatos.

roastlambqj7.jpg

Back