• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Pr0n

Hi all!

Thought i'd post up some pics of my babies!

From left to right...
-Red Habanero
-Capsicum chacoense (Bolivian Small Red)
-"Mayfield" Chili - unsure what kind it is, found it growing from a crack in a pavement at my last rental
-Golden Bullet Habanero
-Tasmanian Habanero
-Jimmy Nardello's
-Purple Tiger
-Peruvian White Habanero
-Bhut Jolokia
-JalapeƱo
-Jaloro
-Red Cayanne
-Dunso

I'll post up some more pics soon!

Oh, what a bunch of teases! When do we get to see their buds?

And, what's a Dunso pepper. That's a name I've never heard.

Are those pots large enough to hold the pepper when it is fully grown? They look like three gallon or so. I've got about 400 sq./ft. of dead garden space in the back forty (feet!) that I want to grow peppers in and plan on using containers. If I don't need a 5-gallon but can get away with a three, it will save me buying lots of dirt 0r stealing it from my garden. At 2 bucks a bag (that will barely be enough for two 5-gallon containers), if I can achieve the same results in 3-gallon ones, it will save several Georges, especially since I plan on somewhere between 75-90 plants.

lol

I hope I'll be moving all of the chilies into the big orange ones eventually, and i hope they will be big enough!!!

Thats the only spot in my yard that gets sun, and is about 1/3 my total backyard.

I'd love to plant in the ground... but renting is a bastard, and i dont want to leave my babies behind!

Are the big orange ones 5-gallon. My better half has some of them and they look like, except for the rim at the top, that they will easily fit inside a 5-gallon bucket.

My main concern is the plnats getting root-bound. That happened with a tomato plant this year and it turned out like crap. In the light of full disclosure, though, I didn't plant it in dirt alone, I also used potting soil (which I now know not to do!).

it is one hundred times superior (a little metric joke there... hehehe)

the large orange pots are plenty big enough. the larger small pots (nearer the fence) are also big enough, though if you want to overwinter and get another season or two you may consider transplanting into the larger pots next spring.

"Mayfield" Chili - unsure what kind it is, found it growing from a crack in a pavement at my last rental
The chilli plant that grows up through a crack in the concrete almost definitely has to be the prolific "Birds Eye" a hardy plant that produces hundreds of very hot inch long pods.

Yeah, i thought it might be a birdseye...

It just dosent look like your regular run-of-the-mill birdseye tho... its not all bushy, it tends to grow taller.

It also changes colour heaps when maturing... from white to green to purple to red.. at least I think its in that order!

My guess is there's about 20 varieties of asian 'birdseye' There's a few hundred varieties of asian peppers that aren't categorised anywhere.
Would be good to find someone dedicated enough to start categorising.

hey, my red hab keeps on dropping its flowers?

I'm only watering it 2 times a week, and have mulched the top to keep that moisture in...

I read somewhere that blossom drop can occur if the plant experiences temps over 30 during the day... Could this be contributing to it?

What else can i do???

Blossom/flower drop is a favorite topic around here. Try a bit of a Search up there at the top of the page & see if anything relates to your circumstance.

Right...

So i've read around on the hot topic of flower drop...

Originally Posted by willard3

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low

The other thing I've found in our local dodgy climate is that the plant will put on a boost when things are good (lightning storm, a little rain), it grows heaps of leaves & growth & flowers then the next week when its hot & dry things start to fade again.
Leaves turn yellow, bugs come by the thousand, flowers drop.

Back