• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking your fav bbq sauce?

Make my own and depends on the meat of course. Vinegar-based for pulled pork, nothing "globby" should go on pulled pork. Glaze for grilling. Tomato-based for other stuff... rub only for ribs, maybe sauce in the end... there is no "one" BBQ sauce.

And liquid smoke, no thanks! That's for people who aren't going to grill or smoke and want a smoky flavor on their chicken nuggets!

Retail:
Legends BBQ Haba-Naga but they went out of biz. :(
He was a member here too.

So assburning I guess :)

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I make my own, but I do start with a store brought "base" because I just don't have time to make my own sauce from scratch anymore. For ribs I start with Sweet Baby Rays' and add about 10 spices and seasonings (peppers of course) and bulls-eye for things like chicken again adding my own magic rub to it. The only thing I always make from scratch if my pork butt sauce since it's mainly apple cider vinegar and spices.

However one of my favorite "spicy" BBQ sauces is from a local hot sauce maker in So. Cal called "tats".

The Black Dahlia BBQ sauce is thick, dark, full flavored with a good amount of heat.

http://www.tatsoriginal.com/products.html

tats.jpg

Those look awesome. I read the ingredients.

This was Legends BBQ Haba-Naga:

Tomato puree, water, brown sugar, molasses, orange juice, horseradish, worcestershire sauce, habanero & naga peppers, and natural spices.

Trus' me it da bomb. But no more.

Yeah I like a dry rib, maybe sauce in the end, but only sometimes, a dry rib so awesome (spicy BBQ for dipping). As you say good BBQ is rub-only, but pulled pork can get the vinegar-based after it's pulled for some good tang. Brisket, needs to be done perfectly so it's juicy, and yeah... no sauce! BBQ chicken... I like sauce. Mostly for dipping though. In the south some call BBQ sauce dipping sauce, for just this reason. You dip with it, not cook with it.

My neighbor likes sauce on his chicken.

Soon as the bird hits the grill he slathers the stuff on.

The chicken ends up a pretty shade of coal.

He's from Michigan.

Rub is a mixture of dry spices and peppers for us chiliheads. It's how you season meat for BBQing. They also have salt to break down fat and tissue (helps moisturize) and sugars, for caramelization, which becomes what is known as a bark.

You rub the meat down with it. That's why it's called a rub.

Technically it is!

Most are called a BBQ Seasoning/Rub, or one or the other. :)

It's a seasoning if you shake it on, and a rub if you rub it in. :lol:

Except if smoking you would brine. :)

Now ask me why a brine isn't called a marinade. :lol:

I was just kinda messing with you but...

Brine is a salt solution, with a few flavors if desired, that moisturizes meat (or whatever) by means of osmosis. The solution works into the meat until the level of salt is equal to that of the solution.

Marinade is for the sole purpose of flavor, and is more intense with flavors like soy sauce, and worcestershire, etc.

You would brine when you smoke so the meat does not dry out. It's full of brine and weighs significantly more when brined. A marinade would flavor the outer layer.

My favorite sauce is a blend of two commercially available sauces - 2/3 Blues Hog original and 1/3 Cowtown's night of the living dead. Blues Hog is too sweet on its own, and Night of the Living is too hot for most non-chileheads, but a blend of the two gets rave reviews. Another really good one, and probably my second favorite, is Butcher's BBQ Sweet Competition Sauce. It reminds me of Blues Hog, but is thinner, not quite as sweet and has a little more spice and vinegar tang.

Back