• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

How to use immature Bhut Jolokia's (still green)

So I couldn't help myself earlier today while tending my pepper garden across town, and harvested 7 immature Giant Bhut Jolokia's. These all came from the lower branches, and almost seemed to be weighing the upper canopy down. Are these too immature to consume? Does anyone have any hot sauce/salsa/pickling/etc recipes for green Bhut's? Are they worth freezing if nothing else? There are LOTS of small peppers emerging on the upper branches.

P.S. I have 2 GBJ plants. The first 6 of these came off of one plant, and the 7th came from the other. All of the peppers on the second plant seem to have a more habanero-like shape, but both plants came from the same seed pack. Does anyone else get Bhut's in this shape? This is my first serious pepper grow, so I'm learning as I go.

Alright, let's hear some suggestions on what I could do with these things!
Early_Bhut_Jolokias_53012.jpg

I've had 2 off my momma plant ! Mine is still in the pot because its trellised. Obviously its hot but the savory flavor reminded me why I overwintered !! edit... i thought spicy slim jim !!!

Hi, mine are just now getting enough pods to examine a handful. I bought mine on Fleabay so I am not sure about how true they will be. The green sauce does sound like a great idea !

They're still in the freezer but I'm leaning toward a very spicy Salsa Verde this weekend or as soon as I get the time. A couple of my other Bhut's are slowly starting to darken :dance: .

[sub]I pulled a green one off a plant last yeat and tried it. No heat at all. I was worried that I had gotten some weird seeds that would have no true ghosts. Once they ripened, they got their heat. Boy, did they get their heat.[/sub]

[sub]I would be interested if your green ghosts have any heat. Let us know.[/sub]

[sub]Randy[/sub]

[sub]I pulled a green one off a plant last yeat and tried it. No heat at all. I was worried that I had gotten some weird seeds that would have no true ghosts. Once they ripened, they got their heat. Boy, did they get their heat.[/sub]

[sub]I would be interested if your green ghosts have any heat. Let us know.[/sub]

[sub]Randy[/sub]

I chopped the tops off of two to use for a can of extra hot pepper juice, then licked the knife. I felt the burn on my lips for 30min. I've currently got at least 40 pods on the bigger plant alone, but they're still just starting darken from the shoulders down. My greens are extremely hot!

Back