• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My Naga Experiments

Duo to certain circumstances my naga plants were slow to produce this year ( my first year growing the fiery devils). I have made 3 batches of naga sauce so far but only with the nagas as one ingredient supported by other chiles, mainly habaneros. These sauces were successful for what they were and I got great responses from everyone who tried them.

Still, making a "pure" naga sauce, with nagas the sole chile ingredient has eluded me...until today. Thanks to a real nice late harvest, I have made my first "pure" naga sauce.

Now, as I suffer with a case of "hunan hand" from some accidental exposure, a pot of sauce containing 53 naga morich chiles sits simmering on my stove top. In a few minutes I will can a few and save the rest of this "reserve" for myself and close friends.

This stuff is hot. I realize that heat levels tend to be subjective and that I'm not the most "hardcore" chilehead out there but this stuff damn near takes my breath away. If I had to guess I'd say the heat level is near Dave's Insanity but with a great natural taste.

Except for the pain in my hands, I'm pretty happy with the results so far. :)

bentalphanerd said:
Sounds great. Just one question...how much does it cost to become one of your close friends? ;)

Expensive. Ten bucks plus shipping to Australia. ;)

Breakfast of champions?

bowlonagasfp3.jpg

A bowl full 'o' Nagas

Chuk...do your thang' bro!! I would offer to trade sauce for your Naga but...that's over my head by 10 feet...I did however pickup some 2 oz. woozies...pm me bro. Cheers, TB.

My naga's are only seeds in the ground at the moment :(!

If they sprouted and I got just one pod this season so I could have my first taste of a Naga I'd be happy! And you have a whole bowlful!! I hate you out of jealousy :(

Pishk said:
My naga's are only seeds in the ground at the moment !

If they sprouted and I got just one pod this season so I could have my first taste of a Naga I'd be happy! And you have a whole bowlful!! I hate you out of jealousy :(

Well it wasn't easy. :lol:

I started the seeds a little late so by the time I put them in the garden the Texas sun was already pretty mean and the little plants weren't hardened off well enough. I ended up having to rig up a tarp over them to keep the direct sunlight from burning them up. Then spring and early summer were WAY too wet so the plants really had to struggle. I had to feed them a lot and still it looked like they would never flower, much less set fruit. I was starting to think only the ones I had in containers would produce pods and they were the first ones I got around July.

Somehow perseverance paid off and the plants in the garden really started to do well around September. I didn't have a bumper crop by any measure but I was thrilled to have a fair amount of Nagas, a decent handful of chocolate habs and even a few red savinas ... not to mention the usual ton of orange habs.

chocolate, red savina and orange hab..

peppertriofy2.jpg

chocolate habs

chochabscf9.jpg

nice series of pics chuk! how did the sauce turn out? care to discuss ingredients or method?

there sure is a lot of variety in the shape of naga pods, it's easy to see why there's so much confusion over identification and nomenclature.

stillmanz said:
How many pods to the bottle (and what size bottle) ROUGHLY just curiously?

53 pods went into a batch that yielded just under a quart or about 30 ounces. That would be about 6 5 ounce woozies so that breaks down to about.....9 pods per bottle...if it was bottled in woozies. I used my usual 4 oz. jelly jars and canned it for long shelf life. I've got six of those plus my "stash" , un sealed in a flask bottle in my fridge.

Now I'm sure some of you could handle this heat level no problem. It's somewhere near Talon I would guess...maybe hotter. I need to do some taste comparisons as I have an open bottle of talon and Scotty B's Devil's Drool in the fridge.

It does include lime juice, onions, carrots and garlic....

Beautiful nagas and beautiful chocolate habs, Chuk. Man, what a sight. When I get home tomorrow, first thing I'm going to do is get an apparatus to start my seeds in and pack my grow lights.

It'll be months before I see my first naga's, but time flies when you're in school. I hope they turn out halfway as nice as yours.

Choc. habs are a personal favorite of mine. I've go to try to score some seeds.

Back