Hello From Oregon

Hay folks. I am not only new to a garden but I am new to peppers. I have been reading the forum and looking all over the net for tips and tricks.. Seems next year I need a biger Garden.. So far I have yet to get Any hot pepers to germinate.. So going to try more next week when its warmer out.. I have 20 Jalapeno plants. But they are not hot. Feel free to point me to the good info.. and I will search as well.

Welcome from WA

Lots of questions arise when we read your post. First is soil and lighting/outdoor sunlight. This is my first year growing from seeds and from starts, and a lot of people use different soils but with the same general idea. There are lots of glogs that you can read that can help you that.
Good luck :cheers:

I am useing sand, soil, mushroom compost, composted cow manure beds. I am growing from seeds. I have a Jiffy brand 72 spot green house start kit. For fertalizer I am using Fish emlusion one week 1. and Epsom salt on week 2 by means of a spray bottle. When I sew the plants in the beds I will fan out a book of match's. I have been able to find the info for how to do it, it's just a matter now of good seed and getting them to start. I am 10 weeks behind where I should be. But I wont make that mistake next year.

Preferably I like to start my seeds indoors under 6500K lights inside pellets or in the paper towel method. Living in Oregon I would consider starting indoors as well, especially with the rains your getting (unless you live further east where its a bit dryer). Then harden then off off oustide.
I also add a bit of vermiculite to my soil for PH and it helps with aeration. Again though this is my first year growing.

Yea I may have to look in to a med/small light and a mat.. My water heater let out lil to no heat same with the fridge and deep freez. But i am going to try on top of my cable box. LoL I will post up how it goes..

I got my 6500k bulb and reflector from Walmart for $35 and a Matt for $22 plus a 32cell tray and pellets for $10. So about $70 total. You can starting soil also which I, will try next year (to late to try now I already got my hands full with starts).
Anyways, keep us posted and put up a glog.
Also do a search for Northwest Chilefest. Once a year we get together for a whole lot of eating peppers and sauces and a lot of shenanigans. Feel free to join us!
Aaron

20 Jalapeno plants? Wow. The one I'm growing is loaded with peppers, but I think it's forcing itself to pump out pods instead of growing properly (branching out) because most of the pods are ball-shaped, deformed, darker than those found in the market and some have stopped maturing. I'll post some pictures soon so everyone knows what I'm talking about.

Anyway, welcome!

Back