• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Large Cayennes...

I originally posted this in the hot pepper section, but then realized my mistake, so I am reposting it here. Sorry!

--

I picked this cayenne today because it was hanging in the dirt when I got back from vacation. This came off of a 'red cayenne' plant that I bought at Lowes. It seems to be bigger than other cayennes I have grown, and still hadn't turned red. Should I be concerned? I haven't tried it yet, but will pretty soon.

IMAG0530.jpg

I have 4 red cayenne plants going, and several of the peppers are around this size. I also have a yellow cayenne plant with a giant pepper on it that has yet to change to its ripened color...

I shouldn't think so... I have some Korean Gochus that are Cayenne-types that look a lot like yours. They get get 8 to 10 inches long, and don't start turning red until they've reached their full size. I use them green as well as red-ripe. They just don't have their full kick and sweetness when they're still green.

I got a yellow cayenne and I believe the tag said around 6" is normal. I don't know all the science to it but I've always believe that if they haven't turned then they aren't ready (something about the sugar hasn't set in or something, guys on here know the details). Either way you can eat the pepper at any stage. Just depends on your personal preference. Let the next one turn colors then try it and see which you like better. Some of my peppers I like better in the green stage.

Thanks for the replies/information! :)

I will ride it out, and see what happens. I would have left that one on, but the tip was touching the soil, so I thought I would pick it, and try it out. It had a decent heat level, but tasted pretty green... I ate a few bites, and then cut the rest up and put them in a jar with some pickles. :)

I have some hot cow horn cayennes that are getting pretty big too. Not ripening yet either. No worries man, just let em hang out till they start turning.

Back