• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Growing Tomatoes

I want to grow tomatoes, but I'm not really sure how to, when to and what kind. :oops:
I was thinking about plum or cherry, but from what I understand, too many kinds exist.
What would you guys (and gals) recommend? I'm also not sure how to grow tomatoes, is it 'the usual' way? and when should I grow them? do they need a lot of light and/or heat?

My buddies dad uses birth controll pills in the start of the season ground up...I dont know the specifics but he gets monster toms...mind you I wont touch them...I dont believe in introucing hormones in that fashon to make toms

Omri they are easy.. 1 don't water the leaves 2 feed them a natural fert every three weeks and 3 grow cherry tomatoes.. I don't thinkyou can go wrong

Biscombe said:
Thats odd! was going to say I can send you some of my favorites for some of your chiis ...........
I'm still in my collecting 'phase'. When I'm done, I'll gladly share some seeds. :rolleyes:
Actually I'm waiting to receive some new awesome seeds any day now, If I'll have too many, I could spare some.

stillmanz said:
Omri they are easy.. 1 don't water the leaves 2 feed them a natural fert every three weeks and 3 grow cherry tomatoes.. I don't thinkyou can go wrong
Cherry? great, I'll go to one of those nurseries soon enough.
Thanks.

Omri. Look at the maturity dates and make sure they are not determinate (only produce one time). I planted 6 plants this year and still have fresh tomatos. I planted three different varieties that had three different maturity dates (days to maturity). I can't remember the name or exactly the days to maturity of the three varieties I planted but they were something like 52, 68, and 80 and they were all indeterminate (continual producers). Here is a link to Texas A&M that gives a brief "how to" for growing tomatos. I use a soaker hose for watering and water them every third day (unless the temps are extremely high, then I water them every other day). I just bought tomato sets this year but next year I have already ordered my seeds.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/easygardening/tomato/tomato.html

I grow mostly indeterminate plants but don't rule out the determinate ones. They usually only produce 1 good flush of tomatoes but they can be great producers and they don't need support. I've been growing a determinate cherry variety called redrobin and although they are mini plants they are incredibly compact and very eyecatching as well as tastey.

I've got some of these started already since they don't grow fast or take up much room under fluorescent lights or window sill.

I agree with Patowie, don't rule out determinate. It is just my personal choice to grow only indeterminate (added) and because I use them for slicing to put on sandwiches, dice them up to use in salads, make pico di gallo and and salsa. Again, just my choice.

you grow tomatoes basically the same way as growing chiles.

no offense to the others, but just because someone said cherry tomatoes are the best well thats THEIR opinion! doesnt mean it'll be the best tomatoe for you, it all depends on what you want to use those tomatoes for. just like chiles certain tomatoes are better for certain uses or conditions.

so take a look at this site, search through it, compare, find which ones would be better for ya. their search engine will help narrow the choices down for you.

www.chileplants.com

or even better yet go to the local farmers market & get some plants since most times they're selling what grows for your area.

Thanks for all the help.
I think I'll just go and see what they got at the local nurseries, and try that.
If I won't like it, I'll just get something else.

I'm REALLY busy lately, but I need to find the time for getting those tomatoes, because I really want some.

Omri...I'm biased to Roma's and the small plum/grape style myself. They just taste so sweet to me. But like CH said...it's all about what you like and not others opinions. Being a good chile grower such as your bad sef', you should do just fine growing any kind of veg. Cheers, TB.

I'm the laziest tom grower ever...I just pluck out what sprouts from my compost pile (well its got to be well suited to grow right?) Of course I never know what I have until it fruits but thats half the fun.

The reason I adviced cherry tomatoes was that they are generally much hardier regading just about all tomatoe virus and disease, they are also less likely to be badly hit by fruit fly and will almost be garenteed to yeild a good crop...they are an excellent beginner tomatoe I also enjoy growing current tomatoes which are somewhat smaller aagain to cherry tomatoes. If you were to grow larger fruiting tomatoe I would go for your classic italian types Roma etc they are very resistant to wilt etc ... but then again there are many (gm) types that do really well. Like bent says sometimes the best tomatoe is the one that comes upin the compost.
Omri if you want some of my current tomatoe seeds give me a pm and I'llpost you some....I've never sent anything to Israil before.

Mick

Heres a pic of two varieties I grow the larger is a cherry cocktail the smaller is the current they are normally alittle bigger but it was the only ripe oneIcouldfind lol both grow fruit in clusters of about 6 but up to 9 both are hardy and produce hundreds of fruit in a season
dscn3312-48s4ao3u1.jpg

Wow thanks for all the responses. :)
About the type of tomatoes, I always liked cherry and plum.
Don't have a clue what kind, it's a very generic term here, the stores won't tell you the name of the tomato.
The thing is I don't want an entire garden of tomatoes, just couple of plants or so.
And Mick, those cherry tomatoes are looking great, although the little one is kinda freaky looking. :lol:
I've read about 'Roma' and other types of tomatoes, but it doesn't mean anything to me, because I can't relate the name to a tomato I know.
You guys are the experts on tomatoes, so can you tell me?
I like the general flavor of plum and cherry (I know cherry usually tastes like a normal tomato), so what would be my best choice?

PS
Thanks for the offer Mick, if you have anything recommended, it would be greatly appreciated.

I was such an idiot thinking it would be an easy decision. :shocked:

The problem is in determining what will grow well in your area. Every area has a regional disease or weather condition that seems to give local tomato growers fits. So, I would suggest you ask other folks in your area what they grow and what problems they encounter before you decide what varieties to try.

we grow heirloom tomatoes exclusively, and completely organically, we harvest aprox. 80-100 pounds every two days in season.
The variety that we use for our sauces and salsa are a cross that I have raised for several years, one of it's parents is the Amish Paste variety.
Lots of folks talk up the romas, but the roma is much smaller.
and the taste pales in comparison to the Paste we grow.
the first pic is four of the variety we grow with a roma in the center, the second is the average size of this variety
4avgand1roma400.jpg

averagesize400.jpg

we normally raise 60 75 plants per year.

Back