• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

foliar feeding- how do YOU do it?

I just got myself a 1 gallon pump sprayer and added 1 tsp General Organics "Bio Marine" per gallon of water and hosed all my plants down with a fine mist. How do you guys generally foliar feed? Do you have special recipes, specific nutes you use, and what are your results?

On a side note, I had a 5 gallon bucket with kelp that I was going to dry and pulverize into meal, but we got some rain and the bucket filled with water. Now it's starting to stink like hell. It's been sitting almost 2 weeks now. Is this tea safe to use? I stir it once or twice a day, but have no other for of aeration ifthat helps.

Spray them early in the morning (before 9 am) or evening for best results.

If the kelp smells bad I would just compost it as it may contain bacteria that can harm rather than help if foliar sprayed.

foliar feeding- how do YOU do it?

In my PJ's at about 11:00pm... If not in my underware.
I put Teas in a small pump sprayer like this
Pump_Sprayer.jpg

I'm sure my neighbors love me :dance:

I have never tested the results but when I used foliar spray the most I always did it early morning.
I am afraid to leave a plant wet overnight without any warmth to evaporate the moisture.
Maybe I am wrong but it seems like you are just inviting bacteria to thrive spraying late at night.

I have never tested the results but when I used foliar spray the most I always did it early morning.
I am afraid to leave a plant wet overnight without any warmth to evaporate the moisture.
Maybe I am wrong but it seems like you are just inviting bacteria to thrive spraying late at night.

I agree that watering plants in the morning is effective.

I don't always foliar spray, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

Yeah? You hit them with cheap cerveca? What does that do for you?

haha :rofl:

I like using botanicare pure blend-"Ingredients: Fish meal, composted sea bird guano, kelp, amino acids, rock phosphate, potassium carbonate, magnesium carbonate and calcium carbonate" Just mixed in water and spray only a few times a season.

I brew worm tea. 1 gallon of dechorinated water goes with 1 cup worm castings with 1/3 cup of molassas.

Add a airstone and let brew for 24 hours.
Then spray in the evening. If i spray in the morning I feel like i will get sun spots
(idk what the actual name is for them but water magnified on leaf causes a burn spot to happen and it spreads around the leaf)

Dude You are right I am just inviting the bacteria, well that and Fungi ... That's the point of a Aerobic Tea. I am creating a Biofilm of GOOD Aerobic bacteria that protect agents bad bacteria and mildew.

Bacteria associated with plants have been observed frequently to form assemblages referred to as aggregates, microcolonies, symplasmata, or biofilms on leaves and on root surfaces and within intercellular spaces of plant tissues. In a wide range of habitats, biofilms are purported to be microniches of conditions markedly different from those of the ambient environment and drive microbial cells to effect functions not possible alone or outside of biofilms. This review constructs a portrait of how biofilms associated with leaves, roots and within intercellular spaces influence the ecology of the bacteria they harbor and the relationship of bacteria with plants. We also consider how biofilms may enhance airborne dissemination, ubiquity and diversification of plant-associated bacteria and may influence strategies for biological control of plant disease and for assuring food safety.
http://www.annualrev...urnalCode=phyto

Beneficial Microbes Jobs On the leaves:
  • Beneficial microbes on the leaf surfaces protect the leaf surfaces by occupying the space that could be taken over by pathogens. This will form a physical barrier to the pathogens and protect the leaf surfaces.
  • Symbiotic relationship with leaves – (they feed each other).
http://blueberrycroft.com/blog/?p=855

Spray bottles work well, until they get clogged up from the buildup left behind from mineral/microbe rich Teas. My wife was pissed when she went to find a spray bottle and they were all in the trash :P
If you plan on doing a lot of foliar feeding, 12$ on a mini pump sprayer will make you a happy guy in the end. Not to mention they work DAMN well.

Basically what I did, but with different ingredients. Do you add soap for a spreader? I've heard this helps when foliar feeding, but I've not seen a difference.

Haha mine is from wally as well. I need new ones bad!
I saw one in a video that was a circle the size of a 5gal, looking for it.

Mine are Walmart as well and I see no reason to upgrade at all.
All you need is oxygen in there, you are not keeping tournament bass alive like the system in my 19' Champion. :lol:

Back