• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Rabid48's Unknown Peppers from AjiJoe - More Ripening!

Update 6/19 - Added a picture of plant 1.

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd start a thread about all of the unknows I have in my garden. A few of them are starting to flower and get some pods, so I thought now would be a good time to get this started. I'll be updating it as new pods show up and I figure out what's what.

I currently have 13 superhots and 7 hots from Joe's respective mixes growing in the garden.

As of 6/18, only one plant has pods. I'll try to use this same format for each plant as it comes along, giving all the info I know to help get the I.D.'s.

Plant 1: Chinese 5 Color
IMG_20120616_183320.jpg

IMG_20120619_171928.jpg

From Mix: Hot
Plant Species: Annum Chinese
Flower Type: One per Node
Flower Size: Very small, pinhead
Flower Color: White
Pod Colors During growth: Yellow/cream, purple (so far)
Pod Size: Small
Pod Growth Habit: Upright
Pod Shape: Bullet
Notes: In the center of the image you can see a purple pod with a Yellow one right next to it. There's also a small yellow pod just starting immediately behind the purple one.

Thanks for looking everybody! I should have another plant putting some pods out soon that's a purple plant, so stay tuned.

-Nate

PS - Special thanks to Joe again for giving noobs like me the chance to grow some rare and interesting peppers with is SASBE offers this spring. Helluva guy that one.

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd start a thread about all of the unknows I have in my garden. A few of them are starting to flower and get some pods, so I thought now would be a good time to get this started. I'll be updating it as new pods show up and I figure out what's what.

I currently have 13 superhots and 7 hots from Joe's respective mixes growing in the garden.

As of 6/18, only one plant has pods. I'll try to use this same format for each plant as it comes along, giving all the info I know to help get the I.D.'s.

Plant 1:
IMG_20120616_183320.jpg

Plant Species: Annum
Flower Size: Very small, pinhead
Pod Colors During growth: Yellow/cream, purple (so far)
Notes: In the center of the image you can see a purple pod with a Yellow one right next to it. There's also a small yellow pod just starting immediately behind the purple one.

Thanks for looking everybody! I should have another plant putting some pods out soon that's a purple plant, so stay tuned.

-Nate

PS - Special thanks to Joe again for giving noobs like me the chance to grow some rare and interesting peppers with is SASBE offers this spring. Helluva guy that one.

HELLO NATE
lookin good!!
you just made my night im at work and well you know how you feel when your at work LOL

i cant tell what that one is from the pic, i think it might be chinese 5 color but dont quote me on it

im always glad to help especially noobs, "you have to start somewhere and be given a way to do it somehow, why not let it begin with me??!!"

if you can take another pic of that pod i am sure i can help

thanks your friend Joe

HELLO NATE
lookin good!!
you just made my night im at work and well you know how you feel when your at work LOL

i cant tell what that one is from the pic, i think it might be chinese 5 color but dont quote me on it

im always glad to help especially noobs, "you have to start somewhere and be given a way to do it somehow, why not let it begin with me??!!"

if you can take another pic of that pod i am sure i can help

thanks your friend Joe

Thanks Joe! I added a picture that's a little bit better. It makes the smaller pod look green, which is somewhat accurate, but I swear they started out yellow. There's also two or three other purple pods now, and they're all pretty small, so it would be a type that turns purple early.

great pic!!

it is in fact (Small fruit strain) Chinese 5 color

they will start out cream colored then go from there, in fact multiple colors will all be at the same time on the many pods it will produce, so it will be a rainbow of colors on the same plant

thanks i hope this helps your friend Joe

Alright, I finally have a few more pods on a different plant. I have a feeling Joe's gonna get this one pretty quickly. It came from the hot mix and has super purple foliage, especially in direct sunlight.

Plant 2: ???
IMG_20120601_193001.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

New Pics 7/17/12
IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

Plant Species: Annum, possibly Chinese
Flower Type: Multiple per Node, mostly singles though.
Flower Size: Normal
Flower Color: White with purple on the edges
Pod Colors During growth: green and blackish/purple (so far)
Pod Size: Small (so far)
Pod Shape: Torpedo
Notes: Everything about this plant tells me it is a purple or black something. When the seed first popped, the coyts very purple, but then the seedling grew green, and then when I put it out under direct sunlight it reverted back to a deep purple.

It's been a while, but all of the in ground hot mix plants and a few of the superhots have started putting out some pods. I updated plant #2 in my last post with a few new pics in the hopes of finding an ID. Here are the new ones:

Plant 3: ??? (I'm just waiting for corking and this one will be a jalapeno...)
IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

Pod Colors During growth: Green/Black suntan
Pod Size: Jalapeno
Pod Growth Habit: Hanging
Notes: Pretty sure this is a jalapeno. Which is good because I didn't plant any this year! :drooling:

Plant 4: ???
IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

Pod Colors During growth: Light Green
Pod Size: 2~3in (so far)
Notes: Looks like some type of cayenne, but it is pretty light colored. Leaves are pretty pointy, too.

Plant 5: ???
IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

Flower Type: Many per Node
Pod Colors During growth: Green
Pod Growth Habit: Upright Cluster
Notes: Siling labuyo maybe?

Plant 6: ???
IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

Pod Shape: Pointy tip
Notes: This could be an Anaheim. The pods look similar to my other one, but mine has a genetic mutation so the plant is a stumpy little shrub.

Plant 7: ???
IMG_2373.jpg

Notes: Tiny nubby little pods. Plant is the bushiest one I have.

And finally, the first super to emerge!

Plant 8: Chile de Onza (Thanks Joe! 8/28/12)
IMG_2380.jpg

From Mix: Super Hot
Pod Colors During growth: Dark Green
Pod Size: Habanero-sized (so far)
Pod Shape: Blob
Notes: Coming from Shane's Glog, this one looks like a Jamaican hot yellow or similar to me.

That's all for now! Hopefully a few more in the next week or two. Happy Growing!

-Nathan

Thanks Joe. I'm pretty sure about the jalapeno, and the siling labuyo is the only thing I can find that looks close to #5. It's just a little more bunched than pictures I've seen...

the top buncher is not siling labuyo, that is if that's the one in question siling labuyo doesn't cluster like that
it looks more like either candles yellow or starburst orange the color will dictate the species in this case
and if it came from the mystery mix nine chances out of ten it will be either one of those two, if its something else i guess we will just have to wait and see

thanks your friend Joe

I just wanted to post a quick update (has it really been a month?) to say that some of these mystery plants are ripening. Pretty much all of them have ripened to a red color.

Plant 2: Ripened red. I just tried one of these and it was HOT! I believe my grand parents have a "brother" of this one that produces smaller pods with similar heat. I thought maybe it was some type of pequin pepper, but the purpleness of it makes me think otherwise.

Plant 3: Still thinking Jalapeno, but some of them have some weird blossom ends (pics later). Ripening red.

Plant 4: Just started ripening red.

Plant 5: Ripened from green to red, so starburst orange maybe? I'm not sold on that conclusion yet.

Plant 6: Pretty sure this one's a cow horn. All of the pods have rotted on the vine so far, which I have read can be a problem for these types.

Plant 7: Lots of small red dangling fruits. Haven't tried one yet.

Plant 8: No change here. Still waiting.

It's been an interesting year. I hope to have some more plants up here by the end of the week, I just haven't felt like uploading in a while. Most of the supers have pods now, but I have no clue what they are. There are a few that look like a scorpion but are very light colored. I'm curious to see what they turn out to be.

Also, if you want a head scratcher, check out http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33235-strange-shaped-pepper/ for a strange plant I found in my grandfather's patch.

Happy growing everybody!

First Ripe Superhot Here! Hopefully a sign of many to come.

Plant 9: ???

IMG_20120825_200436.jpg

Plant Species: Chinese
Flower Type: Multiple per Node
Pod Colors During growth: Dark Green, Neon Orange
Pod Size: medium
Pod Shape: Wrinkled
Notes: Haven't tried it yet. I hope it's good! The picture is a little washed out because of my camera, but the orange is very vibrant.

sorry this time no cue??? :?:

your friend Joe

Thanks for trying, Joe! That picture was kinda crappy, so I'll forgive you, but only this once. ;)

After browsing through the super hot section on Pepper Lover, my top two guesses would be Trinidad Morovas or some sort of Naga. The color is about dead on for the Morovas, but Its a little more wrinkly than the picture they've got.

I gave the ripe one to my uncle to try and I'll be trying the other one that's ripening for myself later.

Thanks for trying, Joe! That picture was kinda crappy, so I'll forgive you, but only this once. ;)

After browsing through the super hot section on Pepper Lover, my top two guesses would be Trinidad Morovas or some sort of Naga. The color is about dead on for the Morovas, but Its a little more wrinkly than the picture they've got.

I gave the ripe one to my uncle to try and I'll be trying the other one that's ripening for myself later.
well if it came from me its not a morovas,i never had them its prolly a cross

thanks your friend Joe

nate on second thought, i think #9 might be Neon Yellow Habanero?? it sure does look like it im growing them this season and they taste really good!!
look it up for general referance, it would be called NEON HABANERO and i think the German site "SEMILLA DE" may have a pic of it??

thanks your friend Joe

It's been a while, but all of the in ground hot mix plants and a few of the superhots have started putting out some pods. I updated plant #2 in my last post with a few new pics in the hopes of finding an ID. Here are the new ones:

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

Notes: Pretty sure this is a jalapeno. Which is good because I didn't plant any this year! :drooling:

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

Notes: Looks like some type of cayenne, but it is pretty light colored. Leaves are pretty pointy, too.

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

Notes: This could be an Anaheim. The pods look similar to my other one, but mine has a genetic mutation so the plant is a stumpy little shrub.

IMG_2373.jpg

Plant 8: ???
IMG_2380.jpg

Notes: Coming from Shane's Glog, this one looks like a Jamaican hot yellow or similar to me.

That's all for now! Hopefully a few more in the next week or two. Happy Growing!

-Nathan
if it turns brown and is a little hot this one will be CHILIE DE ONZO

THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

Plant 8: ???
IMG_2380.jpg

-Nathan

THE TOP BUNCHER MAY TURN YELLOW IF IT DOES IT WILL BE "CANDLE YELLOW"

THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE

Back