• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Vinegar/Peppers/Garlic

I am planning on boiling some vinegar, and pouring it over some cayenne peppers, and then using it as a topping for various greens, etc. Using something similar to this recipe:

http://eclecticrecipes.com/hot-pepper-vinegar

I think it would be awesome to include some peppercorns and garlic as well.

I posted a comment on the article, but have not received any feedback... Will the garlic turn rancid if left at room temperature in the vinegar? I have read that it is not good to leave garlic in vinegar for extended periods of time, but I am not sure how extended we are talking. Any input from our resident food experts would be greatly appreciated. :)

sounds like you are doing a very simple pickle with vinegar.

If you follow the process like you described of pouring boiling vinegar over chiles, herbs, garlic and such, you should be good to go for anything. Pure vinegar usually has enough acidity to be the preservative when used with veggies and chiles.

For food safety issues, there should be none as you are using pure vinegar and it's not diluted.

About the garlic going rancid... don't know about that. If the garlic is in the vinegar the same as the chiles, the vinegar will be the preservative and it's all good. Garlic won't go rancid in vinegar.

If your intention is to use the flavor-infused vinegar for salad dressings and such, then the rancid comment might make sense in that the longer the ingredients hang out in the medium, the medium will get more/stronger flavor and can become overpowering. If you are trying to infuse oil or vinegar with a certain flavor, as that "brew" is marinating, and "the flavor" reaches that sweet spot, then it might be time to remove the ingredient from the medium so the medium stays at that flavor level.

also, it was probably already mentioned but cut or slit the chiles to allow the vinegar to contact the inside of the pods.
Have Fun!!

Thanks for the replies. :) I will probably give it a shot pretty soon. I only have one ripe cayenne at the moment, but there are several others that should turn within the next few days. I will try to post back when I am done... possibly with pictures! ;)

Dilute your solution with water. Vinegar is already acetic acid diluted in water (to 5-7%) but you should dilute even more so it is not full on vinegar. Just a suggestion. Look at most pickles you buy, the good ones, they are in brine, or just have a little vinegar.

IMAG02301.jpg

Thanks, can't wait to try it in a few weeks, I used Trinidad scorpion, cayenne, purple peppers (which I have plenty of w/ 3 plants), sorrano, cow horn, jalepeno, hot bell (basically whatever was ripe in the garden), added fresh garlic & peppercorns as described, I used 50/50 ACV & white vinegar. I will follow up in a few weeks after I try it on some greens, it was way too easy!!

Dilute your solution with water. Vinegar is already acetic acid diluted in water (to 5-7%) but you should dilute even more so it is not full on vinegar. Just a suggestion. Look at most pickles you buy, the good ones, they are in brine, or just have a little vinegar.

What ratio would you suggest using for the dilution?

@Pogeys - That looks great! Can't wait to hear your feedback.

That is seriously making me want to cook up a big pot of greens! I just put together a little jar of vinegar with some salt, sugar and a double handful of orange tabasco type peppers. It is already starting to smell goood!

I don't know about garlic going bad in vinegar, but it might turn blue. If you use tap water to dilute the vinegar it is virtually guaranteed to turn colors, but it can happen even with straight vinegar. It's still safe to eat and tastes fine, but it looks a little scary.

Back