when to add the peppers

so, we want to add some peppers to our beer, if it's added to the boil, will it just be more for flavor vs spice? and it's it's added to the secondary will it be more for the spiciness? oh and for 5 gal. what would be too much spice for a beer? (like say, one habenaro in secondary is too much? or something) i know a lot of this would also depend on the style etc, we just want to have some general idea of where to go.... or maybe we should just follow a tried recipe to give a better idea, i hope that makes sense! LOL thanks :)

generally, early in boil for flavor, late in boil for aroma

goess for anything...hops, herbs, fermentables, etc. Dry "hop" with more peppers for that pungent pepper character in the palette. Or rack through them.

Please let us how it tastes. I have not done pepper beer yet buy have been thinking about.

Good Luck

I did put a Bhut Jolokia in the beer for the 2nd fermentation. Just grilled, not cooked throughly. 1 bhut, 23 liters (5 gallons) I will let you know the results!

Nice!!!! 1 Bhut Jolokia seems just the perfect spot for me in 5 gallons of beer! Definetly a spicy kick but not too much empowering, so normal people can drink it....
BUT I could'nt let the normal people get away with this so easily!
I cut 1 more Ghost pepper in 10 and added it randomly in 10 bottles hahaha!
It's like the Russian roulette for beers! This is gonna be awesome!

Back