• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Controlled Hybridization Experiment

DatilDaddy

Banned
If you were to cross pollinate two different types of plants, that would make a hybrid right? I think I understand that. But the question I have is if you cross pollinated ONE flower, would that create one hybrid pepper on the plant, or would the plant somehow be forever "tainted" by the pollination. I ask because I was going to experiment with a few plants and see what I get. And I was wondering if that would create one interesting pepper to watch grow, or if its a bad idea to even attempt in the first place? If I attempt this I will show results. Share your experiences if you would like as well.

http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=54
For a good idea of how to do it properly, it's not as simple as just putting two plants together and letting nature take it's course. :dance:

Almost as simple, but not quite.
It does take years to acomplish.
Seeds from breeding may not germinate, may germinate but not have traits you were trying for, may get perfect plant or so from F1 generation, but it may not be viable.
Millions, nay----billions of outcomes possible with each generation.

But yes, I am attempting some frankenpeppers. MUAHAHAHAHAHA. ;)

good luck! pepper cross breeding take way longer and way more space than i have room to do, i will leave that to the experts and just reap the benifits(if any)

So the peppers would look normal but the seeds would produce something different the following year (if you had success)?

Could you cross say, a bell and jalepeno for instance?

^ Yes, I have grown green_bell-jalapenos. They were exactly as you'd expect, a cross in size, shape, taste and heat level. I was not trying to cross them, I had just reused some seed from a past year's crop and I don't even recall now if I had expected it to be a pure bell or a jalapeno, which fruit the seed came out of. I don't think I have tried to raise seed from that F1 generation so I don't know if it is viable or not but I suspect it would be.

I don't really see much point in the bell jalepeno cross however, there are americanized jalapeno strains that are milder in heat level like the cross is. Then again, some people can't tolerate much capsaicin and might think it's a great outcome.

I can't recall all the unintentional crosses I've ended up with in past years. There's a white-red habanero, jamaican chocolate-red habanero, cayenne-jalapeno, etc. Some others I could only make poor guesses about since they weren't intentional crosses. In most cases I prefer the pure peppers over the crosses except for one case where I had a hybrid that had excellent pepper shelf life, they'd not dry out or rot for multiple times as long as other peppers I've dealt with. Unfortunately I don't know what type of peppers crossed to make it, except that the plant itself looks to be at least half C. chinense. The F1 generation seeds from it are viable, I'm growing a new plant from them this year and I overwintered that plant from last year.

Bell Jalapeno might be an interesting stuffing pepper... though we have Pablanos, anaheims and so forth for that.

Bell x superhot would be much more interesting

i have been hand cross pollinating my datils and red chiles..

ive been working the same two plants every day. so far, none of the buds have set. both plants seem to want to pod up normal peppers for their species..

ill keep trying though..

if that doesnt work im going to try the thai chile and the datil next year..

Someone needs to make a DIY Pepper Gene Splicing Kit. I suspect that some year in the not so distant future, there will be profesionally engineered peppers to take the crown for things like hottest, fastest to ripen, or actually in some cases slow ripening is preferred as the 2nd and 3rd world countries often pick the peppers a bit green so they aren't over-ripe by the time they make it to an overseas market.

Back