• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hombre growing Capsicum pubescens 2012

Grow Log 2012

Scince a few years I only grow Capsicum pubescens.
This year I have got many plants over the winter an for that I wanted to cut back with growing new plants but that did not worl out so well.
So here's my Story....

I tried to get 252 pubescens plants over the winter and in January it was not looking so good with them so I looked into my seed box and picked out a few pubescens Seeds to Sow
The first were sowed on the 22nd of Jan.
I use an old Medical Fridge that also can be heated
Kuehlschrank.jpg

After only 6 Days the first sprouts appeared
ersterKeim.jpg

At that time the Capsicum pubescens that I was trying to get over the winter looked like this

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

So not so bad

And the new plants also had a good start

IMG_0047.jpg

But then in Febuary we got hit by really cold weather and a lot off the plants from 2011 got damaged

4 Weeks after sowing the plant got transplanted
pikiert.jpg

and after 4 more weeks it looked like this

Mittemaerz.jpg

They started to gow badly from thet point on
IMG_0124.jpg

And some of the 2011 plants looked really promising and others not
So I sorted them and in the End there were 137 really good looking ones and around 50 that will still get a chance and the rest did not make it.

UeberblickueberW.jpg

On the 1st of May the first 40L Pots (arounf 10 Gal.) were planted outside

Mid of May a late frost hit us and 11 plants had some frost damage

End of may a big bunch was takes care of

which varieties of c. pubescens are you growing?

I try to grow all of them :) Collected a lot in the last few years . In the moment my Capsicum pubescens List has 553 positions on it many are similar or even the same but trying to compare as many as possible. Got a lot of variations that were collected in South America on Markets for that many do not have a Name yet
At the moment I can not really tell how many I am growing and which ones but that is the next thing on my todo List to finally get an inventory done

Here a few Pod Pics from 2011

Select Yellow
SelectYellow.jpg

Rocoto Rojo2
RocotoRojo2.jpg

Rocoto
P456_2.jpg

Orange Locoto
P448.jpg

Rocoto Manzano Grande
P447.jpg

PI387838
P446_2.jpg

Aji Largo
P445.jpg

Unknown 1
P444.jpg

Unknown 2
P443_1.jpg

Rocoto Rio Hualaga Orange
P442.jpg

And here a Video from the last 66 40L Pots that were planted last weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LdSPY0gfHvY

Greetings

Hombre

fantastic so many different ones :dance: I only grow 8 types and I thought I was doing ok :rolleyes:
Any ripe Canarios yet? as this is your favorite pube according to your list I was wondering why you picked that one amongst so many. How big do they get and how hot are they? I bought Canario seeds from*coughcoughfatalii.netcoughcough* but none of the 6 seeds he sent germinated and he doesn't sell them cheap either it was a bit disappointing.

Canario was my favorite when I signed up in 2006. Now I tried so many diffrent C.pubescens that I found new ones that I admire more. Last year Rocoto Grandis and my own Selection "Select Yellow" where one of my favorites. This year the first Select Yellow is getting ripe. The others will still take a while. Having not the best weather here this year hope to get the main harvest around end of september.

@Lando If you need any Seeds send my an PM

Greetings

Hombre

Hombre, your shots of the c. pubescens pods were just awesome.
I can hardly wait for my (2) pubes to ripen up some pods.
The orange rocoto from Beth @ Peppermania is a sturdy
plant and looks lkind of like a Christmas tree! It has three
nice pods on it, so am hoping for more.

Your raised beds are looking really great - nice progress.
Where do you overwinter your peppers in the cool German winter?

Where do you overwinter your peppers in the cool German winter?

Last Year I had them at work in a greenhouse that was kept a little bit over the freezing point , this year it is not clear if the space is free.

Greetings from Germany

Hombre

I am a bit suprised to see that the plants in soil don't appear to have done as well as the ones in pots is that because the ones in pots are the overwintered plants? I like the plank walk way bridges on your border good idea :)
You must have Rocotos by the cart load end of each season what do you do with them?

Last Year I had them at work in a greenhouse that was kept a little bit over the freezing point , this year it is not clear if the space is free.

Greetings from Germany

Hombre
Guten Abend! How much over freezing? I have a little
greenhouse i can keep at 40F with not too much difficulty.
Would that be warm enough?

Guten Abend! How much over freezing? I have a little
greenhouse i can keep at 40F with not too much difficulty.
Would that be warm enough?

The heater would turn on if the temperature dropes below 34 F (1°C)
and then try to keep it at 33F (0,5°C). Normally that works out very well but sometimes the temperature drop just too fast or goes down to low that the heater can not handle it.
At these low temperatures it is necessary that the soil is really dry.
Also I cut the plants back and put them in small pots

I am a bit suprised to see that the plants in soil don't appear to have done as well as the ones in pots is that because the ones in pots are the overwintered plants? I like the plank walk way bridges on your border good idea :)
You must have Rocotos by the cart load end of each season what do you do with them?

The overwintered plants do have a big advantages because they already had a lot of roots when I planted them . The new ones I kept in really small pots untill I planted them and they then had to grow there roots . But now they are closing on to the potted ones .

I try out many things with those rocotos. I made a lot of Jellies and Jams last Year. Also testing Rocoto-sugar many Sauces . Gave a good friend a whole bunch an he made Sausages and always dry a lot of them

And here a pic of the first Select Yellow turning yellow :)
DSC_0233.jpg

Greetings

Hombre

The heater would turn on if the temperature dropes below 34 F (1°C)
and then try to keep it at 33F (0,5°C). Normally that works out very well but sometimes the temperature drop just too fast or goes down to low that the heater can not handle it.
At these low temperatures it is necessary that the soil is really dry.
Also I cut the plants back and put them in small pots
Thanks, Hombre! perhaps I can make a go of it in my greenhouse this winter!

Took some Pics after the Rain today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsLYr9yIwp0&feature=youtu.be

Greetings

Hombre

beautiful flowers and pods thanks for sharing that:)
Of all your Rocotos is there one that is really hot? The ones I have tried up till now have excellent taste but have been rather mild. Do second year plants produce bigger fruits? I was a bit disappointed with the size of some of my Rocotos and was wondering why some people get to grow them to the size of an apple(whats the secret :) )

Back