Propane safety question

I have a gas grill I'm trying to convert to a smoker. I'm taking the burner out of the grill, and using the side burner as the heat source. I'm building a box below the grill to heat the wood chips while channelling the smoke up into the grill itself. So the burners are attached to a T fitting with crimped hoses. I want to close off the side of the T that goes to the original grill burner.

Ideas?

Personally, I wouldn't modify. If it were me, I would purchase a small single burner unit and the adaptor hose to use the large tank.

Available where ever camping supplies are sold.

Too much risk using mcGuyvered propane equipment.

If you found an old "Little Chief" smoker at a yard sale or something, your box and heat source would already be assembled.

Just MHO.

You can just cut the tubing then plug it with a suitable brass plug. Secure the plug with 2 gear clamps and you are good to go. I've put together a few BBQs that have had brass plugs in the tubing, presumably to add a side burner etc.

As long as you are plugging the line downstream of the regulator, you will be dealing with less than 1psi in that hose, nothing too crazy.

Oh and don't forget to leak test the plug with soapy water when you are all done

Back