Treasures from Ghana

Hi there,

A lot of folks here have shown interest in growing the pepper seeds I collected in Ghana in August of 2011. Now, that the first crop is starting to ripen, I realized I made a bit of an oversight: I forgot to share the pictures! If you're growing these seeds, here's a snapshot of what you can expect.

If you'd like to grow them, all of the varieties listed below are still available for trade.

Kpakpo shito (C. chinense):
7470198386_2ed110501f_c_d.jpg

Kpakpo shito is the key pepper ingredient in "shito" -- a sauce guarunteed to make everything taste more Ghanaian. Typically, folks eat these when they're still green.

Mako akokɔsrade [="yellow pepper". "chickenfat pepper"] (C. chinense):
7470206034_03d141f921_c_d.jpg

Mako akokɔsrade is my current favorite pepper variety. The pungency is comparable to habaneros, but with a flavor and aroma that is bolder and more intense than any other pepper I've encountered anywhere. Very distinct.

Mako kokoo [="red pepper"] (C. chinense)
7470201144_2868241f66_c_d.jpg

Mako kokoo is probably used more than any other pepper I saw in Akan cookery. It has a pleasant, delicate habanero flavor.

There are a few other varieties I had, but the pictures didn't turn out. Hopefully this Summer, I'll be able to add pictures of Mako akolewabi and Guinea green pepper.

Cheers,

-j.t.delaney

Yellow, red, green. A stop light of peppers. I would like to do a trade if possible or sasbe. Let me know.
Any chance you went to school in NJ
thanks

Very cool varieties... I'm interested in the yellow "Mako akok". I will have seeds when my pods ripen.
Thanks
Sy

Edit: Just saw your want list don't have any of them... Deng!

I would be interested in your opinion on the taste of your Mako Akok compared to a Datil and/or a Fatalii.

It's a much stronger flavor than I recollect for fatalii, but I don't know about datil. I'm actually growing datil, fatalii, and mako akokosrade together this season, so I'll be sure to give them a side-by-side comparison.

[Wierd; the text screws up the 'open O' in the comments, but handles it in the thread titles. Go figure.]

Hi Joe,

I have two heirloom varieties that you may not have, but then again, they're not hot so you may not be interested.

Ashe County Pimiento is an heirloom from Ashe Co., NC. It's sweet and has thick juicy walls. Looks like a smallish bell pepper. It has a short growing season and grows well in the Appalachian Mtns of NC.

Mielderspiral is a long ( up to 8 inches) cayenne type. The lady who gave it to me said it was brought to the US by a man who was backpacking around eastern Europe in the 1960s. He swiped pods from a farmer's field. She thinks the name is German for Mild Spiral, and the pods do have a gradual spiral shape.

If either sound interesting to you, I'd love to try the seeds from Ghana, especially the variety that's similar to Datil.

Cheers, Tom

Hey JT tried to PM you but your box is full. Do you still have seeds? If so I'd be interested in trade or buy for all 3 types you have there. PM me if interested please.
Thanks, Emon069

I would like to try all three. I'm not sure if I have anything you might like though.

**Couldn't send a PM. I think your message box is full.

Any photos of your plants matey- for comparison- JT , I want to see the plants matey.

Well, I'll post picture, but in the interest of full disclosure, I need to say none of my peppers are that far along -- I had a late start this year. Forum contributor "Hot Stuff" has some really impressive mako akokɔsrade plants. I have a local friend who's been growing them in a greenhouse, and has some magnificent specimens; I'll see if he's willing to share photos for comparison purposes.

In the meantime, here goes.

Kpakpo shito
7498333460_758f8d3392_c_d.jpg

Mako akokɔsrade [the three small ones]
7498336784_7855bd1d13_c_d.jpg

Mako kokoo
7498334416_1808e803b8_c_d.jpg

Hey JT tried to PM you but your box is full. Do you still have seeds? If so I'd be interested in trade or buy for all 3 types you have there. PM me if interested please.
Thanks, Emon069
Hi Joe,
I tried sending you a PM but you must be full, I'm interested in doing a trade!!!!

Oops! I've made some space in my inbox. Sorry about that.

Back