• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Habenero-Carrot hot sauce

Had some quite a while ago. I just remember reading the ingredients and saw habeneros and carrots.
Though it was fairly weak IMHO for a habenero sauce, the flavor was good. I always though I could do better if I had the peppers.
Now I will have them---or in utter failure, buy them.

Someone have grandmas favorite recipe for this stuff?

I use carrot in all 3 of my recipes to one degree or another. I like that I get some sucrose from the carrots and I also think the carrot flavor is a nice balance to the peppers and garlic. It adds a freshness and another note of flavor. It also helps to thicken it up a bit since it's so fiberous.

Big fan of carrot in hot sauce. Never have seen just carrot/habanero - you'd need something acidic (e.g. vinegar) and likely something salty too (e.g. uh, salt).

but as an ingredient/additive, carrot is great! good luck.

I use carrot in all 3 of my recipes to one degree or another. I like that I get some sucrose from the carrots and I also think the carrot flavor is a nice balance to the peppers and garlic. It adds a freshness and another note of flavor. It also helps to thicken it up a bit since it's so fiberous.

Big fan of carrot in hot sauce. Never have seen just carrot/habanero - you'd need something acidic (e.g. vinegar) and likely something salty too (e.g. uh, salt).

but as an ingredient/additive, carrot is great! good luck.

Carrots
Onion
Garlic
Hot peppers
Vinegar
Lime juice
Salt
Makes an awesome hot slaw. Let it sit a day or two. The starches of the carrot pull heat out. The lime cools it down. Salt, vinegar, lime preserve it naturally for several months. Put on fish, eggs, beef, brisket, pizza, anything edible actually...

Habslaw----sounds good to me.
I was thinking more of a sauce in a little sauce bottle, but I like the chunky slaw idea better.
Gots habs---not ripe yet.
Soon.

Yup, LD. I wasn't thinking *only* habs and carrots, I just remember them being the top 2 ingredients.
Gotta have some garlic and vinegar in the mix.
But after a few months of trying every pepper I come across---and playing in Frankenstein's Kitchen with the numerous FSRB's I have bought, I am wondering if habs are just going to be too mild.
Will try the habslaw, and if it turns out well, I may blend it into a sauce that will work in a little Tabasco sauce bottle.

But after a few months of trying every pepper I come across---and playing in Frankenstein's Kitchen with the numerous FSRB's I have bought, I am wondering if habs are just going to be too mild.

I'm having the same thought with a recipe my son and I are working on. A Chipotle-Hab sauce and we want it pretty hot. We are solving that little dilema by adding Bhut powder to zing it up. Another recommendation would be adding some Pure Evil to the sauce.

Back