• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pee on your plants?

DatilDaddy

Banned
I was reading a NASA article on human urine composition and noticed there are a lot of the nutrients you spend your hard earned money on right there in your pee! Now I dont know if I would actually resort to having to use my urine to feed my plants (hows that for being "one" with nature!) but has anyone else ever heard of or tried this?

Heard of it but never tried it -- Here is an article about it

According to the article :

Just so that you know, fresh human urine is sterile (unless there is a urinary tract infection - this urine should not be used) and so free from bacteria.
I recommend that you dilute urine to 10-15 parts water to 1 part urine for application on plants in the growth stage. Dilute to 30-50 parts water to 1 part urine for use on pot plants as they are much more sensitive to fertilizers of any kind.
Trees, shrubs and lawn should cope well without dilution. Withhold the use of urine liquid fertilizer on all food plants at least two weeks before harvesting. Apply under fruiting plants, not directly on foliage.
Don't use urine older than 24hours on your plants as the urea turns into ammonia and will burn your plants. If it's not fresh, add it to your compost heap. Adding undiluted human urine to your compost heap will help heat it up quickly as it is an excellent activator and will add to the final nutrient value.
As far as antibiotics, vitamin supplements and other medications go, yes they will end up in your urine, but in such minute quantities that I believe to be negligible - especially when it is diluted.
So put this excellent source of free liquid fertilizer to good use in your garden, rather than add to the burden that we as humans cause to our environment.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/392596

I wouldn't use it.
There are always different recalls in the grocery stores because this or that bacteria is infecting jalapenos or other veggies.
Most of the time it gets linked to the pickers taking a pee or dump in the fields.

haha I wish urine helped plants, if it did it would probably be just trace amounts. I could just picture it now from the neighbors.... " Why the hell are you pissing on your plants?!"
:rofl:

i peed in my yard and killed it lol but im for real i tried it cause i didnt want to do it on my peppers and it turn brown and died so nobody pee on your peppers or even by the dirt they will die!

Id let the amonia clear out first

You're going to get ammonia regardless if you put urine in soil. Urine's mostly water, and then about 2-3% urea by weight, and the enzyme urease found in some bacteria in the soil will catalyze the hydrolysis of urea into carbon dioxide and ammonia. I think those bacteria can also act as a compost starter like Sethsquatch said because the carbon dioxide catalyzes biomass production and ammonia is oxidized to nitrite, which is oxidized to nitrate.

I haven't pissed on my peppers as they're in pots next to the house, but I've pissed around the border of my garden by the tomatoes to discourage deer. My cherry tomato plants this year have been awesome. I don't know if the urine has had anything to do with it, but it certainly hasn't hurt. Now that we've finally gotten some rain, I'm chugging water to respray. Aphids are evil, but deer eat your harvest whole.

Plus it's disgusting.

How do you prevent the insects discarding their waste on your plants? Ohhh and those damn birds...It's like they go where they please....?

But my question is this..
First I hear you're not cool unless you pee your pants. Now I have to pee on my plants too?
Damn you Billy Madison for being my hero!!!

Back