• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Newbie questions on ghost peppers

After confirming what I was told was a ghost pepper plant is infact not I must see this quest of getting a ghost pepper plant through to the end. It's july in sunny Florida. If I start a ghost chili plant from seed will it give fruit before the seasons over? As an annual plant does that mean the plant will "die" during winter and be reborn in fall? Or will it just die and be dead requiring me to save seeds provided it will give fruit before winter? Would it do better in the ground or in a container(say a 5 gallon bucket)? I don't have an in ground garden(yet) how deep/wide should my hole be before I fill it with soil for the plant if I go in ground? Lastly a Big thanks to all the forum members you guys/gals have been very helpful and I hope to become a productive member of the community.

Where you at in FL?

For starters I think if you used containers you would at least have the opportunity to bring them indoors if we get some colder weather. But you can do whatever you want, thats up to you.

As far as it fruiting before the cold weather im not sure being this is my first year, but let me tell you this...

I started all of my pepper plants in late may and all of them are podding up like crazy so use your judgement on the timing of flowers and pods. I think you will be fine.

It seems to me fall would probably be the best time anyway because it wont be so hot that we have a fear of drought, so you will water less, and have to worry less if you are away for a certain amount of time. Trust me, if I wake up at noon im fearing my plants are already dead from the heat (I dont have any sort of automatic drip system or anything).

Im pretty sure your plant wont die. A lot of people on this site have some very old "trees" they like to show to the rest of us, and its great. So this is just my advice, im not too experienced, but I think i am right about these answers. Someone else im sure will post more info shortly.

I live in Daytona and have no problems growing all year around. IMO this is the best time to start supers.Quick germination outside on the porch or any shady spot. They grow really fast and by the time the weather cools down they are hungry to pump out pods:)

I live in Daytona and have no problems growing all year around. IMO this is the best time to start supers.Quick germination outside on the porch or any shady spot. They grow really fast and by the time the weather cools down they are hungry to pump out pods:)

Hello neighbor.

Yes in FL you will probably get the first round of fruit started this season, but in northern FL you might have to watch for frost and bring it inside if that happens.

They are perennials not annuals, but will die from frost to freezing temperature. It will not come back if it dies in winter, has to stay above freezing it's entire life but in cold weather above freezing it may lose its leaves and be dormant until it warms back up.

Up to a certain size it won't matter much if in a container or the ground but "IF" you think you can keep the plant from seeing any frost during winter, better to put it in the ground. If not, put it in a pot so you can bring it inside to keep it alive as long as possible.

Your hole depends on the soil conditions. With loose sandy soil it doesn't need to be dug up as much but generally at the least I would till or turn the soil and mix in some organic matter in a 1' diameter and 1' deep hole for best results, but it can make due with less than that... or more, if you're feeling ambitious.

If you're sure you want to get into gardening, I'd get that started then put the plant in your garden area instead of working around it.

I am a newbie just wondering if Savannah, ga is ok to get some peppers going this late in the season I know we have similar weather patterns as FL.

I would like to say that in the south this might be one of the best times to start. Just dont put those little sprouts out in this heat yet!

EDIT: Of course earlier is always better but all that I mean is there is still a lot of time till cold weather here. ;)

I'm in Panama City, and just got my Orange Scorp plant. Its still plenty warm here, and getting tons of great sun. Hoping I'll get a pod or two from it. Currently growing 4 x jalapenos, thai sun, 4 x hab, serrano, cayenne, golden cayenne, cherry, and orange scorps. Whats the latest you guys have grown in FL? First year growing so any help is appreciated.

Datils (of course), Cayenne, Japs, Wax, Bells, Poblano, Fresno and about to start some superhot seed from members.

Back