• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid WHO'S THE MOST INFLUENTIAL CROSSBREEDER

The late Scotch Bonnet Steve.

Some that you named above haven't been around long enough to have contributed more than unstable Hybrids unless you are talking about new sales pitches.
I don't think Butch even isolates his plants or tries to create new hybrids.
Butch T Scorpion may or may not have been a hybrid (Cumari X Scorpion) that was stable.
Butch doesn't really know himself.

Butch, and Duffy have both said they don't hybridize. I don't know the story of the brianstrain, but I think it was a natural pod variation that was selected for over a period of time.

Which, no offense, probably makes this a silly question...

Now, ask if it's potawie, vlad, or Ed, you would have a more difficult question to answer.

The first question was like asking who sells better tires? Pepper joe, penny tomato, Ed currie, pigglywiggly or Goodyear.

Actually I should mention that Duffy said he doesn't know how.... But I suppose that is neither here nor there. It was a statement made in defense of his moruga...

Vlad has some interesting crosses - a c. Galapagoense x Bhut he calls impact... I have been thinking hard about buying seeds for that....

Currie has the hp22b and 23b and another that is supposed to be hotter still...

Potawie has a few that are stable... But other than ornamentals I am not exactly sure all of their hybrids.

Aispes is producing some of the coolest stable and unstable hybrids out there...

IMO, most of the crosses that are out there are "accidental" and if they are "accidental" there is no way of knowing what/who the plant was that supplied the pollen...

as far as most influential?....haven't a clue

I don't know the story of the brianstrain, but I think it was a natural pod variation that was selected for over a period of time.

yup...that's correct...what's funny is that we got our seeds from the same person right about the same time and I have been selecting pods with the rough texture and size also...Cappy sent me a few seeds years ago and I grew them...I could not tell any difference in the heat and the only visual difference was the "Brain Strain" or as I simply call it, "7 Pot" was his were a little longer while mine are more squat...I only grow mine now and continue to select seeds based on pod shape and texture....no worry about the heat 'cause it definitely is a superhot...

Probably. It is mathematically impossible for a hybrid to ever be 100% stable. Anything after f8 is likely stable enough to use the name though.

Ah yes I remember reading that thread once upon a time, cappy has other ideas about it... But I digress. I think your story is the more likely.

By name I meant they can be referred to by the name given by their creator without hybrid being tacked on the end.

Need only one "isolated" plant to produce a lot of seed since you get more then 1 pepper from a plant. So if someone is growing to sell peppers no need to isolate them all.

So far I didn´t see any person here doing controled hybridization studies.

If you look at the pictures published in the growing log section, you can see, that most plants (even the profs do it) are grown without any isolation.
So crossing is the result of this type of cultivation.

Did anyone see a log saying:

I Butch Taylor crossed Trinidad Scorpion with...? , no, Butch gave away his seeds to a number of people and some, if not all, were crosses between whatever he had at his field.

Jim got Trinidad morouga blend from Chris directly or via another person, so he is not the master of this variety.

Same with Primo and the Brain Strains, anyone who can show a record of a controled crossing program?

Put: Bhut jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion and 7pot well mixed together in a field and buy a box of bumblebees to do their work.....you will get hundreds of superhot varieties to be selected and reselected and stabilized and rated and measured with HPLC and you will be the greatest cross breeder of the world.
Propably you can get the Guinness World Record: Most pepper crosses within 1 year!

Amen

Peter

I'd have to vote for Jukka Kilpenen since he's tought tonnes of people how to breed peppers through his website articles.
Its easy to make a cross, the hard part is growing out dozens if not hundreds of plants for years in attempt to find the holy grail chile. I have a lot of hybrids going on but it certainly takes up a good chunk of my garden and time that could be used for more productive plants.

Same with Primo and the Brain Strains, anyone who can show a record of a controled crossing program?

Primo did a controlled cross, he's told us all about it

haha this is always the hot topic that gets people pissed off. i dont understand why.

The peppers i have seen in ed curries videos have me the most interested. I enjoy watching Paul Tonkin eat them on youtube as well. I think the latest was a chocolate bhut crossed with a moruga. I have all different plants in my yard and wonder if i will get any kinds of strange hybrids due to cross pollination!

Cannot find anything about this. He just said that he sent seeds to Chris years ago and Chris named it.

Can you post a link to a report on how he made it?

Peter

"
Primo Santeria
In 2006, Mark McMullan sold five sets of Naga Morich seeds on eBay to fund his website thechileman.org. He claimed to have obtained the seeds from a local Bangladeshi food merchant and grew out the seeds in 2005. Later on this pepper was na...med the Dorset Naga, which was somewhat controversial. See attached link. Anyway, four sets went to UK backyard growers, and one set to me. At the time I was a nursing student, taking biology classes, cultivating a small 20x20 organic garden consisting of mostly peppers obtained from seed gathered cloak and dagger at the local master gardener plot. ha So, when I saw this ebay listing and forum talk about a "worlds hottest pepper", I jumped at the chance. My fiancee' thought I was nuts!! We are talking $40+ dollars for 10-15 seeds. I can't remember the quantity, but at the time it seemed insane. So, I grew out six plants organically without use of pesticides, covered them with bug netting to prevent cross pollination, and harvested and cleaned the seed. At the time I worked in the ULL Department of Renewable Resources, which happened to house the Horticulture department. Information/access to the professors was literally a walk across the hall. So, as an afterthought, I decided to sell the seeds online "organically and grown free of pesticides". I decided to lower the price and give double the seed. I didn't change the name or do any crossing. Surprisingly, I made about 100x my investment in a year's time. Hell, it inspired me to change my major. I totally became enthralled and addicted to pepper. I guess you could say I was before ordering the naga, but the thought of making a living doing what I loved was tantalizing. At this time a professor friend gave me a pepper that his friend obtained from a recent trip to Trinidad. The pepper was a 7 Pot and the old lady who gave it to him claimed it was used to heat seven pots of stew. It was somewhat hab shaped, warty, and hellaciously hot. So, I decided to cross the 7 pot with the Naga to see what would happen. Hell Hot + Hell Hot = Double Hell Hot was my rational. ha Whereas, I had forged an underground history playing music in the late 90's with SANTERIA, I was now going to school later in life, loving the research, plants, the vibe of campus, and the general direction of obtaining an education. For several years I crossed the pepper to self, selecting the meanest and hottest pods.... My buddy Chris Phillips on the hotpepper forum either traded or purchased some seed from me. I tossed in the 7 Pot, but didn't name it.... Just something interesting for him to try growing. Well, Chris liked it so much, he started posting, spreading the word, taking pictures, etc... That was it. As I continued the R&D, the name and seed spread. Literally all over the world. Amazing. I guess I was at the right place, and did the right thing twice in my life. The band got back together to make an album in 2009, but I continued to experiment, grow new varieties, keep the garden up, etc... I produced the Brother Dege album, and I'm now producing the new Brother Dege album. I guess I just changed my focus to music. I became a little jaded that so many companies had made money on the naga. Yes, kind of hypocritical, but I knew had I the infrastructure, I could have done more. I've never felt a need to validate myself, though this post may win length awards on FB. ha So, with that said, I hope I answered some questions. ha Rock on fellow pepper heads"

Jukka is very good at crossing. I grew his Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend x Bhut Jolokia last year. Good pepper. He has made many and identifies parent plants well. Paul Bosland does seem like the one most into it. However, the most amazing most likely is Dr. Mario Dadomo in Italy. He has some incredible ornamentals - over 12,000 pepper varieties I believe. AISPES members can tell more about him. :)

Chris

Back