smokers Anyone built their own smoker?

Anyone built their own smoker? I am looking forward to build myself a smoker. A real one is expensive , so anybody aleready built one? If so, how did you do it?

yuuuup...

tools used:
porta band saw
210 amp mig welder
oxy/acetalyne cutting torch
7" grinder
4" grinder with several xtra fine flap disks
plasma cutter for stainless
large vise

tip:
if your using material 1/4" wall or thinner use cutoff wheels or saw to cut doors cause a torch will warp the metal too much
a wrap around square is a must for cutting large diameter pipe

beware of any used propane tanks. they look perfect for this but many have died cutting into used tanks.

surf the web looking at the models available and sketch you a plan. Klose pits, Gator pits, Lang (reverse flow), stump's (vertical) are all good builders that have a reputable design

heres mine
cooker.jpg

i made mine out of an old chest freezer- flipped it on it's side, threw in a few shelves, knocked some holes in the top and bottom and put it up on cinderblocks. fire goes underneath- works great as a cold smoker. i have probably run 300 pounds of peppers through it at this point.

Thanks guys! AMAZING smoker BB4. I'm not sure I can build one like this, I'm just a cook lol. Give me a knife and peppers and I will do a banquet for 1000 people. Give me a hammer and a nail, all I will do is hurt myself haha! I thought about making a smoker with a metal trash can : electric burner at the bottom, a metal plate on top of the burner for the wood chips, and a grill (for the meat or peppers) just under the lid.
Does that makes any sense? something like this : http://cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

i built my own smoker out of an old iron wood stove. i make a fire underneath, stuff the bottom with wet chips, and i load in the chilis in hanging baskets from the top. although it works well, its not beatyfull to look at and the missus would rather have me get rid of it :( hehe anyhow its staying out there untill i make a better one! :D hehe

i would stay away from any galvanized metal. open flame+galvanized= Zinc poisoning or very sick. might watch for someone throwing away an old charcoal smoker or bullet type and start with that. i have built several out of air tanks, water tanks, big pipe or whatever is available.

what about this one? http://makeprojects.com/Project/Clay-Pot-Smoker/877/1

thin metal cookers are very difficult to control the heat in windy or rainy conditions,

there's a way to make a relatively small one out of terracotta pots and a hot plate.

My buddy did this and it was extremely successful. I've eaten pork shoulder out of it and it was awesome - and since it's electric you don't have to work as hard to maintain an even temp all night/day.

http://www.instructables.com/id/a-little-brown-egg-in-Maine%3A-terra-cotta-smoker/

Chicken.jpg

a-little-brown-egg-in-Maine-terra-cotta-smoker.jpg

google terracotta smoker and you'll get like 30 links documenting how to build one.

yuuuup...

heres mine
cooker.jpg

Awesome! I'm planning on building one similar to yours.

What size pipe did you use for the main smoking area? Is it sch 40 1/4" thick pipe? I've got 3' of 8" pipe i was planning on using for the firebox, I'm just having a hard time hunting down 5' of larger diameter pipe for the smoke box section.

I found buying one was the route for me. I have a nice stick burner I got on sale and I use it every weekend.

If you want to build one, the easiest may be UDS or Flower Pot. If you are a handy welder you can build a better one like a nice stick burner like the post above mine!

beware of any used propane tanks. they look perfect for this but many have died cutting into used tanks.

Ditto!

THE BEST smokers I have seen built by a member here: http://thehotpepper...._80#entry630376

Awesome! I'm planning on building one similar to yours.

What size pipe did you use for the main smoking area? Is it sch 40 1/4" thick pipe? I've got 3' of 8" pipe i was planning on using for the firebox, I'm just having a hard time hunting down 5' of larger diameter pipe for the smoke box section.

it is made from 20" schd 40 which is actually 3/8" at that diameter. i got mine from a sign company, its an old billboard post they were scraping. i still have about 20' left over. unless your using a second heat source in your cooking area 8"x3' will have a hard time heating a 5' section. go big on the firebox, you won't regret it.

thanks for the advice. I'll save the 8" to make a couple thick ass chimneys to start my charcoal.

I've got access to a fab shop and a pro welder. Myself and a few buddies have been meaning to build one for a couple years, its the making of it that gets me the most excited. well that and drinking beer as we smoke a 30 hog on it after its done.

I built a UDS. Super easy, cheap, and can hold a temperature forever without having to reload with coals or wood. The only power tool required for my build was a drill. If you want resources on how to build one I'll point you in the right direction.

UDS.jpg

I built a UDS. Super easy, cheap, and can hold a temperature forever without having to reload with coals or wood. The only power tool required for my build was a drill. If you want resources on how to build one I'll point you in the right direction.

UDS.jpg
I saw these all over a KCBS Q event I went to this Spring. Point away, maybe I'll give it a go...

Back