• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Kung Pao Chicken

I decided to add kung pao peppers to this year's grow list because I wanted to try to make an authentic kung pao chicken dish. A couple of days ago the first four kung pao peppers ripened, so I knew this weekend would be my chance.

I cannot take credit for the recipe, which I found at: http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-kung-pao-chicken/2/ The reason I liked this recipe is that it is not a Westernized version of the dish, and as such it does not include non-tradiational kung pao ingredients like (water chestnuts or carrots) that are so common in resteraunt versions of this dish.

I expanded the recipe for five large chicken breasts, and I used fresh kung pao peppers rather than dried ones. The garlic was picked from the garden minutes before making this, as were the green onions that replaced scallions (I try to use what I grow).
IMG_9911.jpg

The most important step was infusing the oils from the kung pao peppers into the garlic and ginger slices. I took my time with this part, and it payed off because in the end the garlic pieces were the hottest part of the entire dish.
IMG_9918.jpg

The recipe is quite picky with a lot of steps that have to be followed in a specific sequence. Even so, I give it an "easy" in terms of difficulty level, because I managed fine in my first run. This picture shows the last cooking step.
IMG_9920.jpg

This last picture is a bit deceptive because the bowl is quite big. Remember that this is five good sized chicken breasts worth.
IMG_9926.jpg

Overall review: I give this recipe an A. The only thing holding it back from an A+ is that it is a little heavy in terms of the amount of cornstarch in the recipe. Next time I was be careful to level each spoonful in order to cut it back slightly. Even so, it was exceptionally tasty, and had a bit of heat to it but not so much that I was eating alone. My friends were fighting over who got to take what few leftovers there were home with them. The only down side to this attempt at making it was that I did not have enough ripe kung pao peppers yet to match what the recipe calls for. It would have been significantly hotter with double the peppers. I could have substituted a different type of pepper, but then it would no longer be kung pao chicken and it would defeat the purpose of what I was doing.

Thank you, it definitely was delicious! The heat of the kung paos is about the same as some of the hotter varieties of cayenne peppers. Nothing that will blow your socks off, but it does give you a nice slow mild burn. It is the type of heat that you can share with people who are not into super hots.

Kung Pao chillies are claimed to be hybrids, aren't they? Maybe not the most "authentic" choice... ;) (And going for authentic, did ya use Sichuan peppercorns?? :P)

Regardless... that, my friend, still looks friggin' fantastic!! :drooling:

What about it being a hybrid makes it not authentic? What would have been an authentic choice if that's what your going for? Also what exactly makes all kung pow peppers hybrids?

50 questions, go !

Thank you for the comments and discussion :dance:

Pretty much all peppers are hybrids simply because they naturally cross so easily. By authentic I refer to two things: (1) the list of ingredients should be as close as possible to the tradiational ones as possible, and (2) the peppers should as closely resemble the peppers in the tradiational list of ingredients as possible. For example, if you put a trinidad scorpion in there it would definitely be hot and probably tasty, but it would not closely resemble what people mean by kung pao in terms of flavour what what is used to put the dish together. But this is my thing when it comes to cooking, and it doesnt have to be anyone else's.

That is one awesome looking dish.
I love Kung Pao Schickens, and I HATE water chestnuts.
I just printed this out so I can make this in the future.

Perfect.

Great job SW.

Fresh garlic is definitely the way to go. The only thing with mine was that my garlic was picked for the dish rather than having time to cure, so the taste was not as garlicky as it could be. But I'm a pick when it comes to stuff like that ;)

That looks great!! Did you use the Shaoxing wine the recipe called for? Because I've never seen it before and have no idea where to look for it.

Also, thank you for the website link, it's awesome, already got a bunch of the recipes bookmarked

Jessica: I forgot to mention it in the original post, but I actually substituted sake for the shaoxing wine. They both have a rice base, so I don't think it altered the taste too much.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your creations once you start making all of those recipe you bookmarked!

If you have access to black vinegar (which is a highly specialized ingredient) I am surprised that you don't also have Shaoshing wine. This is usually just labeled as cooking wine, or maybe sweetened or seasoned cooking wine in an asian market and is fairly common around my neck of the woods.

P.S. Great looking dish!

If you have access to black vinegar (which is a highly specialized ingredient) I am surprised that you don't also have Shaoshing wine. This is usually just labeled as cooking wine, or maybe sweetened or seasoned cooking wine in an asian market and is fairly common around my neck of the woods.

P.S. Great looking dish!

Thank you! What I did for the black vinegar was I asked my neighbours across the back yard, who are chinese, and they had some. I have no idea if it is easy to get here or not, but I'm sure I'll find out when it comes time to make it again.

Back