• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Garden bed top up - what to use

Hi all,

Need to top my garden beds up again this winter, they've sunk to about half the height of the garden bed again from last year.

I started off these garden beds a few years back, and used the no-dig technique where you layer some newspapers to smother the grass/weeds you lay the bed on, then use alternate layers of materials. In the first year, I used chicken manure and lucerne hay, and the plants grew thick and strong, but very little fruit.

This year I was looking to top the beds up with the following:

- Sheep Manure
- Coco peat
- Garden mix from a local nursery
- Mulch of sugar cane mulch

Worms love the coco peat, so I was hoping it would attract even more worms to the area.

Worms love the coco peat, so I was hoping it would attract even more worms to the area.

Aye... I've used a lot of coco peat in the past for my potting mixes and I always get worms coming up into my pots.

Sheep poo sounds like good stuff! I screened and added a little to my potting mix for next season and I've got a little patch I'm gonna dig some into too and see how it goes....

Sheep Manure is great for acidic soil suited plants like roses etc , never seen it here in Australia sold comercially but used to use it all the time in NZ.(Pelletised commercial stuff when I was living away from the farm) if I could get my hands on some I would definately be using it. I am using the searles 5 in 1 plus which has it in along with all the other poo and worm castings and mushroom compost amongst other things.

How are those Jalapeno HTM's coming along Milkman??

There's like 4 or 5 farms just outside of Melbourne that sell it by the bag, so I'm going to buy about 24 bags of it.

Jalapeno HTM's are going good, got a couple a few inches tall already and will take some pics for you next weekend.

They sell it from time to time at Bunnings. If I get good results from using it, I will be looking for another source though....

My bunnings apparently is getting shut down and amalgamated with the massive new one in the other direction from me ... so I am doubting I will be seeing too many new lines crop up in the near future. I am a little skeptical about it shutting down though it always seems really busy to me... I know they are certainly slimming down the options though regardless ... lame ...never seem sheep shites either will have to keep my eyes out ...

can you get rabbit poo?....I am using it this year for the first time and absolutely love the way it is working with my plants....

as I recall, you Aussies should plenty of rabbits...didn't ya'll build a fence from north to south to keep the rabbits from spreading?

Back