• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Looking for a Datil <<firehouse subs>> copycat recipe

Hi guys,

I just procured my first Datil peppers and really want to make a sauce similar to Captain Sorensen's Datil pepper sauce found at Firehouse subs. I have tried Google and keep coming up with relish recipes and other results I am not looking for.

Does anyone have a recipe they wish to share or a link to a recipe?

If not, I would also be interested in any recipes which create a sweet and spicy Datil hot sauce.

Thanks guys.

I have some of that sauce in my fridge. lol I like it a lot. But, it just seems to me like it's nothing but some ketchup, some sugar, and some peppers. I could be wrong, but that's what it tastes like to ME.

I know you that sauce may be one of your favorites, but take no offense-

That sauce is crap. Try this basic recipe. You can omit the garlic and onion to make it last longer and use less peppers to make it mild:

10 Datil peps (with seeds)
2 cups Ketchup
.5 cup Brown sugar
.5 cup Vinegar
2 Tbl White onion
2 Tbl. Honey
1 clove garlic

Heat to bubbling and simmer on low about 3 to 5 minutes. Cool and refridgerate.

That is a basic sauce along the lines of firehouse, but trust me way more flavorful. Use it as a base and add whatever other ingredients you please.

Thank you very much - my fiance' is the one who wants a Sorensen's sauce (she can't hang with my Peach Bhut Blitz, or my Caribbean Colon Cleanser... :rofl: )

I have had it on several occasions and I like some of the flavor, but you're right it needs some more flavor depth...I'll give you're recipe a go. What do you recommend as additions to the recipe?

Thanks you two ;)

Just realized I should have specified Whie vinegar for what I use. But I have been known to use apple cider vinegar in the past. As far as that goes use whatever kind you like.

Some other ingredients people may use are Citrus, Carrot, Bell pepper, White sugar in place of brown, Butter, and Worcheshire (great addition), among other ingredients. This would not really be considered traditional though.

Sorry but I cant give you my secret ingredient. All I cant tell you is its something thats probably in everyones fridge. :shh:

For a great variation add yellow mustard to the finished product. Or of course any mustard that you like. Its easy to switch it up to your peferences.

Back