• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sriracha with Thai Peppers

Thai Peppers bought from a local market (just under a pound):
7576574768_6ae09f9e00_c.jpg

Capped and ready to cook:
7576580424_09418c37ba_c.jpg

Add 2 oz water, cover and bring to a boil, then cut temp down to simmer.
Simmer 10 min.
Add tsp garlic powder.

Cooking after addition of garlic powder, w/Agave Syrup to be used:
7576585386_827f4e706b_c.jpg

Add 6 oz of White vinegar and simmer for 20 min. covered.
Blend with addition of just enough water to get your blend on.

Simmer after blending to reduce your sauce to desired thickness.

Simmering after blending and addition of 1/3 cup Agave syrup and 1 1/2 tsp salt:
7576590202_75be486030_c.jpg

Finished:
7576596164_4bdbe61104_c.jpg

Edited: Measurements added

Damn this looks good! seriously though 2oz of water in the first? is that like just enough to cover the bottom of the pan? Awesome!

Yes. If your pan shape/size is different, you may need to use more or less. Remember to keep it covered and reduce the heat before the 10 min simmer.

Looks pretty damn good, been looking to do this myself for a while but my thai's didn't turn out that well. Did you consider fermenting it? Sriracha is usually fermented and it adds to the "earthy/tangy" flavor that it's famous for. Pretty jealous of that stuff, enjoy it.

Didn't realize sriracha was fermented. My understanding was catsup made with peppers instead of tomatoes, with garlic being the spice element. Either way, it ended up tasting good.

Had this stuff on some pizza the other day. Left over Papa John's. I really tasted the sweetness behind the peppers and garlic on this one. It really tasted great.

Nice recipe!
Can i use some sugar (brown or white) instead of the Blue Agave? Is pretty hard to find here.

Cya

Datil

Sure! I just like the Agave b/c of the sweetness factor and flavor . . . seems like I can use less (calories) of it to get the same amt of sweetness, and I like the flavor. Just as a reference, it didn't seem real sweet the first time I tried it, but the 4th or 5th time, it seemed really sweet. I think that I had gotten more of a capsaicin tolerance by that time. So depending on where you are in that regard, you might want to adjust your sugar respectively (i.e. start with less than you think you need, and add more while it is cooking to taste.) When I make it again, I am going to use fresh garlic, and probably less agave (unless at that time I am in the mood for some sweet heat).

Back