• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Help with Substitution Pequin vs Serrano

I was looking to substitute dried Pequins (Tepins) in a chili recipe for the 5 Large Serranos currently listed. Can anyone tell me about how many dry Pequins should be used to replace 1 large Serrano?

yes, I know it will be hotter....I just want the flavor to be balanced out and don't want to totally overdo it.

Thanks!
Dave

I get them at the supermarket freeze dried right next to the Polar Bares (which are far better than Polar Bears for cooking ... you don't have to scrape the hair off!).

Doh! -- Sorry, spelling isn't one of my, er, strengths :roll:

Seriously, do I substitute by weight, volume or????

Hmmm.. maybe puree the chilis and try to match the flavor that way. Ex: Create a puree of each with different amounts of chilis and compare the flavor, intensity, etc. Then, maybe you will know how many to add.

Personally, I find it much easier to use dried peppers in this instance. Perhaps I am skewed towards dried, but it is a lot easier to control the heat with them.

davemoffsite said:
I was looking to substitute dried Pequins (Tepins) in a chili recipe for the 5 Large Serranos currently listed. Can anyone tell me about how many dry Pequins should be used to replace 1 large Serrano?

yes, I know it will be hotter....I just want the flavor to be balanced out and don't want to totally overdo it.

Thanks!
Dave

I only have one question... Are you replacing the pepper itself or the heat of the pepper??? Because there is a huge difference in size between a tepin and a serrano.

(And Bubba... if it helps, I laughed.)

T

Tina Brooks said:
davemoffsite said:

Thanks!
Dave

I only have one question... Are you replacing the pepper itself or the heat of the pepper??? Because there is a huge difference in size between a tepin and a serrano.

T
ok im happy and im sad...you said you laughed at my penguin joke but in the same post you admit that women know the difference in size.....im crushed :lol:

bubbaschili said:
Tina Brooks said:
davemoffsite said:

Thanks!
Dave

T
ok im happy and im sad...you said you laughed at my penguin joke but in the same post you admit that women know the difference in size.....im crushed :lol:

Crushed??? ok, I won't go there... this is a family forum.

Sides, I wasn't talking about the size, I was talking about the heat. And as we all know from posting here... sometimes you get a lot more heat out of little than you do out of big. ;)

Peppers! I'm talking peppers! Gitcher mind outta the gutter!

hehe

T.

Back