• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How To Start Seeds - A Guide to Seed Starting

First off I do NOT know all there is to know about growing peppers, nor would I ever claim to. I learn new things and methods each year. I wanted to share with you how I do things which has worked out well for me. I try and improve my process each year, but most times, I have to relearn what I learned last year (if that makes sense)

I am hoping that this will help the new pepper grower learn the process of seed starting and have written this from my personal experience...it's pretty straight forward and I know everyone does it their way but this way works best for me and usually ends up producing 90 + % germination rates...

Step by step process.

1. Cleanliness - Sanitize all tools/work areas/germination areas/trays before starting...I use a very strong solution of the harshest chemical my nose can stand while cleaning my work areas....wash hands very often to keep cleanliness at its best...remember cleanliness is the most important thing...think of your seeds/seedlings as if they were babies...they need care...

2. Seed Starting Medium - When deciding what media to start your seeds in, remember this...you want a light weight medium without large "chunks" in it...water retention of the media is also of utmost important...I use Hoffman's seed starting mix but most light weight "seed starting" mixes will work. A lot of growers use peat pucks and that is fine but they dry out too quickly and are the cause of many seedling deaths...

3. Pre-Soaking your Starting Medium - Soak your starting medium overnight in warm water to completely wet it before planting your seeds.

***Note - Obtain seeds from a reputable/trustworthy source***

4. Planting Seeds - Poke a hole in the soaked media using the blunt end of a sharpie about 1/2" deep. Planting shallower will result in more "helmets" on your seeds. Place the seeds in the holes and gently cover them up...a little pressure won't hurt but you don't want to "pack" the medium you are planting in.

5. Moisture - You want your starting medium damp, not wet...if at any time after the germination process starts, your medium dries out, your seeds are dead...any dry period will kill the embryo...Moist, not wet is very important to remember.

6. Germination Temperature - the temperature at which you germinate your seeds is of utmost importance - 80-86F is optimum. If you get lower than that, the seeds will still germinate (down to 60F probably) but germination percent decreases almost linearly as the temperature decreases. If you get higher than that, they germination percent also decreases and when you hit 95F or above for an extended period, can you say "zero"? Constant temperature is a key here IMO

7. Ambient Temperature - While not as important as germination temperature, ambient temperature of your grow area is important also...IMO 80F is about a perfect temperature to grow pepper seedlings.

8. Light - Light is not needed for pepper seed germination but once the seeds have "hooked", pour the light to them...as much as you can...mine get 3K lumens/ft[sup]2[/sup]

9. Stem Exercise - A fan blowing on the seedlings several times a day is required for stem health...you want to "exercise" the stems several times a day....this stretches the cell walls thus thickening and strengthening them...think of standing on one leg with a pretty good wind blowing on you for 30 minutes a day...that leg would get muscular...I run the fan on as high as the plants can stand it without breaking them down...

9. Fertilize - to fertilize or not to fertilize...up to ya...some people say no, some people say yes...I fertilize with 1/2 strength from the time the seeds hit the soil until first transplant then use full strength...that is my choice and works well for me....I use Botanicare products like Liquid Karma & ProGrow.

10. Watering - I have found the best way to know when you need to water is through experience...if the seedlings wilt, definitely time for water, however, if you will take a dry container, feel the weight of it, then take a soaked container and feel the weight of it, you will know when your plants need water...IMO this works better than moisture gauges or being on a set watering schedule...over watering will make your plants die over time...

11. Transplant time - if using seed starting trays, transplant only when the roots start growing out of the bottom...remember, the health of your root ball determines the health of your plant. Transplanting several times to increasingly larger containers improves the health of the plant by making a more compact root ball, not root bound, just a good network of nice hairy roots. Something like this works really well...seed starting tray (3 weeks) to 3" square containers (3-4 weeks), to 6" containers (3-5 weeks) , to 2-3 gallon (2 months) to 5 gallon etc...however, because I grow so many plants, I only transplant three times...from seed starting tray to 3" container to 6" container to 5 gallon container....then during the season, I may transplant to 10 gallon containers...

enjoy growing...for those not growing in containers, go to ground or raised bed after 6" container....

If I have left anything out or if anyone simply disagrees with this method, please say so...I probably won't change but the process can be tweaked to fit your style of growing....

Its a good thread only one thing I do differently, I fill my trays with MG seed starter, insert seeds, then soak for a day placing trays under cover after that.

Its a good thread only one thing I do differently, I fill my trays with MG seed starter, insert seeds, then soak for a day placing trays under cover after that.

since I use my germinator, I never cover the trays...IMO controlling the moisture in them is a royal PIA

Very good thread. Right on cue! Can someone say "sticky". I've read alot of germination problem threads and this should solve that unless they don't use the search bar.

What's the reason for slowly increasing pot size: starters->3"->6"->... Why not just go from starters to 6" to ground/big pot?

Also, I think it would be great if someone could post a guide on hardening off. Mostly I do everything outdoors and use the Darwinian method of baby plant care, but that doesn't result in a very high survival rate :rolleyes: so perhaps someone that has more experience coddling their plants could volunteer.

What's the reason for slowly increasing pot size: starters->3"->6"->... Why not just go from starters to 6" to ground/big pot?

Also, I think it would be great if someone could post a guide on hardening off. Mostly I do everything outdoors and use the Darwinian method of baby plant care, but that doesn't result in a very high survival rate :rolleyes: so perhaps someone that has more experience coddling their plants could volunteer.

IMO you want the density of your root ball to be pretty tight, like I said not root bound but a pretty tight root ball...and if you don't go through the potting up stages, you will not achieve that...not saying skipping the pot up stages will hurt the plant, rather you will have a better root ball if you pot up in stages...

Hardening off is not hard to do, but it takes time and diligence...maybe I will or someone else will post a "how to" on that...the main thing is you have to take your time and increase the amount of sun the plants get gradually over a couple of weeks IMO>...

Plus potting up too quickly can cause the plant (at least here in FL) to appear to have stalled. I think when its warm (we have 360 days of hot here in FL), they focus more on their roots than foliage. Which when you are talking about a big plant with scores of leaves, is one thing, but when you have a little plant with only a couple of leaves trying to fill a big 6 inch pot, it could take it a while before its happy with its roots...

Maybe these observations don't hold true in your state, but here, any plant I took from the seed tray, and put directly in a 2 liter bottle, did precisely that. Roots first, then foliage,.

Potting up is very important here in FL, just 5 days can make a world of difference just 5 days between the potting in this pic though the plants where from the same batch. ones on right got potted 5 days before the ones on left.
IMG_0101-17.jpg

This is easily one of the best posts on thp. Thank you do much. I wish this was the first thing i read when I joined the forum. Thank you.

I really don't know why this hasn't been stickied. Thanks for bringing it back up Jandek. I myself found it when I first joined THP but had forgotten.

Back