• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Plant shipping container needed

Ok I posted in the marketplace section about selling rare Japanese medicinal plants and I'm all ready to go, but my first shipment to a friend back east failed and all the plants died.

I looked online for plant shipping containers and couldn't find anything that would allow me to package the live plants without cutting the stalk.

I recall getting live pepper plants from NJ a few years back so I called them and they said they have the specially made and wouldn't even sell me a few!!

The problem is the plants are very leggy and have thin stalk. They are also somewhat sensitive to heat, but now that they are over a year old it shouldn't be as much of a problem as long as the stalk doesn't get bent or crushed.

Does anyone ship live plants and if so anyone have containers to ship them in? The are about 8-12" in length and very thin plants.

IMG_3927.JPG

I'm actually working on an idea right now about this very thing.
My idea was to be able to ship plants to people who have had some sort of "problem". Had a friend whose house burnt down with his plants about 2 months in. Hurricanes happen all the time on the east coast. Among other problems that arise in life. So I talked with a couple of other members,and plan on giving it test run sometime soon.
Basically as told to me,plants if watered properly will not die from being in a box for a week(stuff happens in shipping). So as long as it can get there safe inside,you're ok. So cheap,yet stable way to ship was the idea. Will have more info once the test is done,or tests :)

But I also heard a company that shipped a box that folded into what held the plants in place. Again cheap and efficient don't jump out, at having a company build you prefab boxes.

You'd almost need to build them each a little shipping box out of plywood, then screw the pots directly to it.

The following illustrates how to pack and ship a plant when using Priority Mail shipping tubes.

1. Place the rootball of your plant in a large Ziplock or any other plastic bag. Tape around the neck of the bag and secure. Lay your plant lengthwise. Tape the widest part of the rootball and the base of the stem area to the box.

2. Lay two pages of newspaper over and around your plant.

3. Carefully bring the box flaps together and fasten them. Add some tape to make sure the box is secure.

4. Close end flaps and tape. Add your address label.

You’re done!
icon_smile.gif

Here is a previous thread with a few different methods mentioned... hope this helps

http://thehotpepper....hipping-plants/

I actually found that thread previously and tried it however because my stalks are a lot thinner on the plants they didn't make it.

But I also heard a company that shipped a box that folded into what held the plants in place. Again cheap and efficient don't jump out, at having a company build you prefab boxes.

This is what I wanted to use, but I couldn't find them anywhere and the only place I know who uses something like that won't tell me the company they order from or even sell me any boxes. apparently they are "custom" made just for them and don't exist anywhere else which is BS and the lady just doesn't want me to have any boxes lol.

The following illustrates how to pack and ship a plant when using Priority Mail shipping tubes.

1. Place the rootball of your plant in a large Ziplock or any other plastic bag. Tape around the neck of the bag and secure. Lay your plant lengthwise. Tape the widest part of the rootball and the base of the stem area to the box.
f newspaper over and around your plant.

That would work if the plant stalk wasn't really thin. However if I waited another few months until they thicken up a bit I might be able to use this method. Unfortunately the plant may end up 3' tall by that time as a mature plant grows to about 4-5' in height

Back