• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Joyner's I.D. Help Thread

So, I have a ton growing this year and someone or something is playing tricks on me...

First up, this should be a Red Savina

unknown_2.jpg

And this is supposed to be Jamaican Hot Chocolate, looks more like my previous years Red Savina crop

unknown_1.jpg

Thanks

First one looks like a Datil to me.

Second one, not sure. Definitely not a Red Savina, those are more of a folded in triple-lobed shape usually, and not quite that dark red color, either. Other than that, I'm not sure what it is. Definitely a C.Chinense of some kind, though.

Did you grow any that looked anything like the red ones? They don't even vaguely resemble Caribbean Reds to my eyes, too dark of a red (almost burgundy), and also, Caribbean Reds have a pronounced grape/cherry tomato-esque shape to them.

They resemble heirloom habanero reds I grow but the crazy thing is they were more or less off on an island and no idea how they got so mixed up! I guess when the other habanero reds start to produce I can compare them. And you are right about the other one looking like a Datil just strange that I do not even have seeds for that and everything was started from seed.

Thanks for your help and suggestions

So I had 3 of these grow from the ground this year in my overall pepper area, pretty sure they are the Chiltepin, does that seem right?

_MG_0815a.JPG

We had very bad storms here over a couple of days and I swear they did something to all my freaking peppers. I had them labeled in the soil with markers and a grid map on paper. Nothing is as it seemed!

These are marked as pink scotch bonnets.

_MG_0834a.JPG

So, I used my last years dried Thai pods, extracted the seeds this winter and planted them in containers. These are supposed to be my Thai Orange. I took these seeds directly from my Thai Orange dried pod. The guys are very large and only resemble the Giant Thai if a Thai at all.

thai1.jpg
thai2.jpg

So, Meadow View Farm claims this to be a Pink Trinidad Scorpion. The plant was very young when this started growing and it is the only pod thus far. I'll take pictures of additional ones as they develop and I'll give this one a taste test before it gets dried.

131.jpg

Just a heads up, but there are a lot of "Not" pods in this thread. The first two are definitely not Savinas, the Pink Scotch Bonnets, are definitley not Scotch Bonnets, and to be honest I have never heard of a Pink TS, and in all reality, it wouldn't look like that pod.

Just be careful before you. I would find a new seed source and be carful marketing products with the supposed names.

But keep posting and you will get some answers.

Just a heads up, but there are a lot of "Not" pods in this thread. The first two are definitely not Savinas, the Pink Scotch Bonnets, are definitley not Scotch Bonnets, and to be honest I have never heard of a Pink TS, and in all reality, it wouldn't look like that pod.

Just be careful before you. I would find a new seed source and be carful marketing products with the supposed names.

But keep posting and you will get some answers.
All of these are plants from Meadow View Farms, the ones mislabeled or unknown with the exception of the Chiltepin, Lemon Drop and that crazy Thai plant. I only make powders from plants and seeds that I have had and used forever unless I know for certain the origin or trust the source. If I used these guys for anything it would be a catch all mix.

Thanks for the advice and checking out the thread.

Here are two of the peppers that came from the labeled Pink Scotch plant.

pink_scotch1.jpg
pink_scotch2.jpg

They look a lot more yellow under my camera setup than they do in natural sunlight. You can see the pods are very different from the same plant.

Back