• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Isolating for pure seed

How do you isolate your peppers for pure seeds?
I read somewhere that you can cover the unopened flowers with PVA glue, the pods can still form, anyone here tried this? I don't fancy making cages for all the varieties I want to grow!

Yes I have done this with mixed results, I am guessing less than 30% did not drop the flowers. I used a liquid latex rubber called Tear Mender sold at Tractor Supply. It does work but for me not a high percentage. I will do it again this year but I will coat a lot more buds.

Dale

I don't know what you build when you build a cage, but you can buy paint strainers at most hardware stores that have a tight enough nylon mesh to work. You can usually get 1 & 5 gallon bags. I've used the 1 gallon bags to isolate a branch. Mostly I've used them to protect monarch caterpillars from wasps, but they're usually cheap and easy to find.

Tulle is better to guarantee purity , but the paint strainers work very well for the average gardener. Assassin bugs can stick their proboscis through the paint strainers to get the caterpillars, so it's not insect proof; but it's still cheap and decent.

Right before a flower opens, take off one or two of the flower pedles and pollinate it wit a q-tip from another flower and that'll basically guarentee pure seeds.

baggin like Pam says is probably the best method I have found theres probably a thousand articles on Tomatoe sites with indepth ways regarding bagging and what to use.. tea bags work well.

I bring some plants in the house to pollinate away from insects, others I grow at friends' houses since I know they'll only have 1 variety.

gonna try the teabag method..is it empty contents lol..and then tie back little round the flower with small string. or :rolleyes:

You empty the tea bag, make a nice cup of tea, sit there with a BB gun and guard the flowers from any insect...cover one eye with the empty teabag if you want more of a challenge...

***my attempt at humor this morning***

:lol: put a smile on my face AJ.

Talas that's what I assumed you did but I just wanted confirmation on it. I suppose you can put it round the flower bud at any stage as long as it hasn't opened :confused:

I'll be using tulle this year to keep them pure.

rainbowberry said:
Can anyone explain the teabag method for me please?

:lol:

imaguitargod said:
Get your mind out of the gutter, Passow. Get your mind out of the gutter, Passow.

: leaves the room repeating this to himself :

I thought the same thing :lol: maybe she just likes being teabagged :whistle::P

Back