• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

I can't be bothered. Or CBF.

O.k. Another thread inspired me to start this thread.

For whatever reason you can not, do not, will not, want or need or as the thread title suggests, be bothered to go shopping for food today.

Be it brekkie, lunch, snacks, dinner or dessert.

You HAVE to make do with whatever is in your refridgerator / pantry / coolbox / bomb shelter / hidden stash in the wardrobe / buried...well you get the idea.

What gastronomic feast will you be making today from what you have on hand?

Don't be shy / embarrased / shamed e.t.c. Here on THP we love ALL things food and weird ass sheeit.

Nothing wrong with 2 minute noodles with eggplant and tofu.

Post it. It's all good.

This is the world I live in. Seriously, I don't care too much for food, I just do the minimum effort. If it takes more than an hour for dinner, I can't be bothered (though a slow cooker/crock pot/ oven roast is fine, I mean I don't want to prep and stand in front of it for more than an hour). I never eat out or have breakfast. Most days I don't bother about lunch. I don;t really care about food that much, but do have a decent recipe bank for quick easy cheap dinners.
I appreciate everyones efforts here, but honestly I can't be bothered and don't care enough about it to eat out at a restaurant or spend hours preparing food.

I normally hit up the local asian shop for noodles, sauces, rice etc, and local supermarket for tinned stuff every month. I keep a bunch of spices and sauces because that is how I roll. And buy vege and meat every week for multiple meals. Normaly buy meat in a 1kg-2kg packs, separate and freeze, normally only use 400g per 4-5 serving meal (except steaks/roasts and vege of course - but any stirfry/pasta meal only 400g-500g). With vege, always buy a red and green cap, carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic every week, and frozen peas. The rest only when planned recipies (pumpkins, zucchinni etc)

Tonight:

Basic recipe:

Thai green coconut curry
4 chicken thighs
can coconut milk
2 tablespoons green curry paste
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon grated ginger ( I keep a ginger root in the freezer, nice and easy to peel and grate too when frozen)
1 tablespoon fish sauce
Thai basil - my thai basil plants died 2 months ago, so I just used a bit of sweet basil that I do still have growing. The point is I didn't buy anything for this recipe and it is what I have for dinner tonight.

Chillies
Jasmine rice

As this is an asian style meal, my default is 1 red cap diced, 1 green cap in thin strips, 2 carrots either julienne or thin diag sliced, and one cup of frozen peas. You could do 1/2 green and red cap and only 1 carrot if you add more meat, but I prefer more vege, less meat. (because I'm a low effort cant be bothered type of guy more than anything, meat stays in freezer, vege is only going to go moldy in the fridge etc)

Dice chicken
Mix 1/2 the coconut milk with cumin, curry paste and ginger

Simmer the chicken in the 1/2 coconut milk mixture
I was going to go 2 full size bih jolokias, but my bihs were tiny, so did 3 of them and found a half 7 pot yellow in the fridge, so I put them in too. So 3 baby bihs, 1/2 yellow 7

Right now up to you whether you want to put the pile of vege in there (not much liquid and simmering at low temp), or stirfry them separate. Edit: add 1/2 cup of frozen peas at the end regardless.

Cook for 15 min.

When the chicken is cooked, add in the rest of the coconut milk and the fish sauce, and basil.

Stir through the vege if cooked separate, serve on jasmine rice.

Edit: Sandwich for lunch when I can be bothered:

Bread
Tinned tuna smoked flavour
fake wasabi and mayo mixed
sliced cucumber
lettuce
eat.

No one? Not even the OP DtS coming back?
Quite disappointed...
Today I started tasting out my spice rack, thinking of a chilli recipe (as in pot of chili, chilli con carne).
I tasted some fennel, cajun spices, herbs, tarragon, cumin, coriander ground seeds, tumeric, lemon/salt/pepper mix and lots of other just to get a sense of the flavours, then I had a can of beer and called it dinner, because nothing was happening here and I already had a mouth full of spices and flavours and a full stomach courtesy for a 1/2L beer can. So I skipped any food today.
Also I had a bih jolokia whole that blew my head of and had another beer. Thanks everyone LOL :D
Maybe I might make a chili tomorrow (with beans) because no one is posting here with better ideas ;)

In better news, my Mrs was feeling sick, in here own words "didn't care if she did get sick, just wanted it to go away".
I gave her a savina and she ate it. Hated the experience but then 'got it' afterwards, and liked the calm relaxed feeling after the heat went away. I got my mrs onto thai and indian curries 10 years ago, still complains if it's a little hot even now, but she ate her first full chinense pod today even after she watched me suffer after eating a bih jolokia.
That was dinner for us because nothing was posted here (not serious BTW)

PB and Aji Amarillo on whole wheat, for breakfast:

AjiAmarillo3.jpg

Dinner for tonight we are having streak salad.

Picked up some salad greens, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, onions, and some other stuff from the farmers market yesterday. Can't wait to have some yummy grilled streak a salad. Will post pictures after I get it made. :)

*** WARNING ***

This isn't attractive. But, I couldn't be bothered to make it so, and besides, isn't that what this thread is all about?

It's my first day on my new gig, and I'm back to working from my home office. It was nice to get to sleep in a tad. Not only that, but my client didn't have their act together until about noon, so I putzed around the house this morning and even took a small nap. Lunch? Hm.... we didn't go to the grocery store this past weekend, and still haven't gone, so the fridge and freezer are fairly barren. Thought about going and getting some sushi...... nah, couldn't be bothered!

So this is one of those what-do-you-have-in-the-fridge mish mash combos. Heated just a touch of olive oil in a skillet and tossed in some portabello mushroom slices left over from last night's pizza makings. Hmm.... got a bit of spinach left in the pack..... heh, some leftover peas from a few nights ago..... Rumor is that there's some red bell pepper in the fridge somewhere, but couldn't see it with a quick glance and couldn't be bothered to look further. C'est la vie! Ok, what else? Couple of eggs, some almond milk, garlic powder, and hot pepper bean paste. Good 'nuff!

P1010065.JPG

The hot pepper bean paste is red, so of course mixed with the egg it becomes an orangy-brown. While not the most eye-pleasing, however, it tasted good. If you're not familiar with bean paste, it's pureed soy beans, and is rather salty, so you don't want to use a ton. You can find it at your local Asian grocer, and may find a couple varieties, such as the hot pepper bean paste I have. I picked up a large jar (all that was available at the time) for a prior Throwdown, and we find ourselves adding it to various dishes more often than we anticipated.

Tonight will be grilled boneless porkchops about 3/4 inch thick marinated in some cheapo marinade the wife bought. Some riced a roni from a box and some fresh steamed broccoli. And I'll throw some jalapenos on the grill for me, fresh of course.

Good work geeme. Exactly what this thread is about.

Pablo_h, really 1/2 can beer fills you up? That's not even the equivalent of seasoning for me :rofl:

Lastnight for dinner was a CBB (can't be bothered).

2 k.g. pork belly. Used it all cause I CBB portioning it or thinking of an alternative meal later. Rough cubed.
These are rough amounts. 1/4 c palm sugar,6 cloves garlic, 2 tbs black pepper, 1/4 c fish sauce and water to cover.

Brown meat, add sugar and caramelize, add garlic and cook until just fragrant, add fish sauce and water. Bring to simmer add pepper. Cover and slow cook in the oven 2 1/2 hours. Served with rice.

No veggies cause I CBB. And I get to eat it for lunch and probably dinner as well. Yay no cooking today. Just opening beer bottles :D

Heh. You know DTS..... no pics, didn't happen!
(Says the chick who frequently doesn't post pics! LOL)

I rarely drink beer, but when I do, I frequently only drink half a beer. Got the super-stick Glad Press N Seal just for those occasions - slap it on the bottle and it's good for up to a week later. Tonight, though, I've been nursing a Dos Equis since maybe 6pm - and it's 9pm now.... should finish it off in the next half hour, but only because I CBB to get up and put plastic wrap on it....

Edit: Oh wait. I get it. You CBB to get your camera!

Pablo_h, really 1/2 can beer fills you up? That's not even the equivalent of seasoning for me :rofl:
No, 1/2L, or a 500ml full can of beer (or more) was drunk by me before dinner, and a few more tonight.

Tonight I had 1/2 a butternut pumpkin (squash pumpkin?) left over from last week, I think I used the other half for... I can't remember.
Anyway, roasted the pumpkin and some potato.
Some chicken in the freezer.

Browned chicken, removed from pan, added some butter, green onion, scraping up some fond and chicken juices.
Added mustard, 1/2 cup chicken stock, lemon juice and parsley.
Plated chicken poured over sauce (no wine here in this house anymore, otherwise would have done a cacciatore instead or used some white wine in this recipe), served with roast potato and pumpkin and boiled frozen peas.

Really wanted to do a chongqing fried chicken with the chicken, but I have no szechuan peppercorns and I didn't know what to do with it (I suck at fried rice). Could have used ramen noodles, but again, didn't have szechuan peppercorns anyway.
Anyway, ended uup with what I ended up with because I couldn't be bothered going that route, I just used what i had on hand.
Edit; Forgot, used some 'masterfoods garlic and herb salt' from a jar and some powdered hab to season the roast vege before cooking. Lame I know, but I am lame in the kitchen :D

Sometimes not bothering can lead to little gems.

One morning a few weeks ago I was going to boil some eggs. As luck would have it, one of the eggs was virtually glued to the carton. It's shell was intact, so I decided to try to force it out, and in the process pushed my thumb through the shell. Ok, so that one couldn't be boiled, but never fear, I could go ahead and scramble it.

I usually thin my scrambled eggs with milk, but the fridge had a different idea - no milk. Hm. Ok, I had some sour cream, so let's see what I can do with that. Put a dollop on the egg, mixed, and more hmmm….. I decided to grab the coconut powder, and dumped some of that in, too. Then sea salt, garlic powder, cumin, and hot pepper powder. I heated a skillet, then poured the mix in. Huh. The mix was kind of thick, and acted more like pancake batter than anything else, so I decided not to stir like I would for scrambled eggs. Let it cook a couple minutes, then flipped it over and let it cook a few more on the other side. I decided just to eat it plain, to see what I thought of the flavor - GOOD! The texture is different from a pancake, due to the coconut powder; it's slightly crunchy, in a coconut sort of way.

I've now made 3 of these, two just this morning. Pics below are of the second one. The first I made with less coconut powder, so it was thinner. I can see that this would be good if you wanted to do it like a crepe and wrap it around something. I also used only allspice and hot pepper powder as seasonings, then drizzled it with ginger syrup. Also, I had no sour cream in the house this morning, so I used the ricotta which happened to be in the fridge. With the second one, I used chaat masala and hot pepper powder, and also used the ginger syrup. I can see that varying the seasonings will make for a totally different experience each time - thinking I might try it next time leaning towards sweet, and use cinnamon and whatever else strikes my fancy at the time.

This is to give an idea of how much ricotta and coconut powder I used for the second one this morning. Again, less coconut powder yields a thinner pancake, which would be easier to wrap around something.
P1010095.JPG

Mixed together, sprinkled on chaat masala and hot pepper powder.
P1010096.JPG

This is to give you an idea of the consistency on the skillet. Using more coconut powder like this one yielded similar results as making regular pancakes - bubbles started to form when it was ready to be flipped. Bubbles didn't form when I made the thinner version.
P1010097.JPG

Ta da! Drizzle that baby with ginger syrup and eat! The color is off a bit in these photos - they're yellower than the pancakes actally appear, but that's ok. Note I cooked this one on medium and got the browning yo see on top. I cooked the thinner one at medium-low, and didn't let it brown.
P1010098.JPG

This should give you an idea of the consistency - not quite like a traditional pancake.
P1010099.JPG

I've enjoyed these, and can see myself experimenting with them quite a bit in the future.

Sometimes not bothering can lead to little gems.

One morning a few weeks ago I was going to boil some eggs. As luck would have it, one of the eggs was virtually glued to the carton. It's shell was intact, so I decided to try to force it out, and in the process pushed my thumb through the shell. Ok, so that one couldn't be boiled, but never fear, I could go ahead and scramble it.

I usually thin my scrambled eggs with milk, but the fridge had a different idea - no milk. Hm. Ok, I had some sour cream, so let's see what I can do with that. Put a dollop on the egg, mixed, and more hmmm….. I decided to grab the coconut powder, and dumped some of that in, too. Then sea salt, garlic powder, cumin, and hot pepper powder. I heated a skillet, then poured the mix in. Huh. The mix was kind of thick, and acted more like pancake batter than anything else, so I decided not to stir like I would for scrambled eggs. Let it cook a couple minutes, then flipped it over and let it cook a few more on the other side. I decided just to eat it plain, to see what I thought of the flavor - GOOD! The texture is different from a pancake, due to the coconut powder; it's slightly crunchy, in a coconut sort of way.

I've now made 3 of these, two just this morning. Pics below are of the second one. The first I made with less coconut powder, so it was thinner. I can see that this would be good if you wanted to do it like a crepe and wrap it around something. I also used only allspice and hot pepper powder as seasonings, then drizzled it with ginger syrup. Also, I had no sour cream in the house this morning, so I used the ricotta which happened to be in the fridge. With the second one, I used chaat masala and hot pepper powder, and also used the ginger syrup. I can see that varying the seasonings will make for a totally different experience each time - thinking I might try it next time leaning towards sweet, and use cinnamon and whatever else strikes my fancy at the time.

This is to give an idea of how much ricotta and coconut powder I used for the second one this morning. Again, less coconut powder yields a thinner pancake, which would be easier to wrap around something.

Mixed together, sprinkled on chaat masala and hot pepper powder.

This is to give you an idea of the consistency on the skillet. Using more coconut powder like this one yielded similar results as making regular pancakes - bubbles started to form when it was ready to be flipped. Bubbles didn't form when I made the thinner version.

Ta da! Drizzle that baby with ginger syrup and eat! The color is off a bit in these photos - they're yellower than the pancakes actally appear, but that's ok. Note I cooked this one on medium and got the browning yo see on top. I cooked the thinner one at medium-low, and didn't let it brown.

This should give you an idea of the consistency - not quite like a traditional pancake.
P1010099.JPG

I've enjoyed these, and can see myself experimenting with them quite a bit in the future.

interesting - i might have to have a go at this myself now - love a good experiment ...

Yep. I'm leaning towards "stuffing" it with chicken one night this week, ie- roll it like a filled crepe. Maybe with a peanut sauce. Also adding lemon grass to the batter to see what that yields, flavor-wise.

Back