• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

BigBodyBussey's GLOG, uh, well, sort of...

This will really be more of a showcase of photos from throughout my grow season this year. I wasn't a member of this site when I started this year and obviously didn't have the intention to create any sort of GLOG. So...I'll start by posting the oldest photos from this year and work my way to the present.

ENJOY!!!

My grow list for this year included: Trinidad Scorp Butch T, Nagabon, Bhut Jolokia, Dorset Naga, (All From Neil at the Hippy Seed Co.), Caribbean Red Habanero, Orange Habanero, Bonda man Jaques, Naga Morich, Thai, Thai Sun, Bird's Eye, Scotch Bonnett, El Tio Chile & Globe chile (won from a facebook contest), and sweet banana for the soon-to-be-wifey.

Well, due to less than optimal germination, I started off with roughly one seedling from each category except Bonda man Jaques which never germinated. ----> fast forward to 3 weeks later and the repair guys working on our hot tub spray highly chlorinated water on the patio deck (where the seedlings are hardening off) - killing the butchT, Dorset naga, Naga Morich, and possibly the Nagabon (more on that later).

So, we'll start here...

Overwintered Bird's Eye
IMG_0292640x478.jpg

Smartpot Caribbean Red Habanero
Pepper201212.jpg

Regular Container Caribbean Red Habanero
Pepper201213.jpg

Globe Chile
Peppers2012July5th18.jpg

El Tio Chile
Peppers2012July5th20.jpg

Sweet Banana
Peppers2012July5th21.jpg

Orange Habanero
Peppers2012July5th30.jpg

Thai
Peppers2012July5th29.jpg

Scotch Bonnet ---> revealed to be Jalapeno
Peppers2012July5th31.jpg

Chost Bhush ---> Bhut Jolokia
Peppers2012July5th24.jpg

This is it until a bump... :P

Hot tub party at TripleB's House!
Kill that repair man, or even better have him eat a bhut and get revenge.

Remind me at the end of the year I will have some seeds for you! Also I want a few that you have so maybe we can trade. I don't want to grow anymore right now, but next year will be fun.

Thanks all!

your plants look great. are those all AACT volunteers?
- yeah, all of my plants are AACT receivers.

Hot tub party at TripleB's House!
Kill that repair man, or even better have him eat a bhut and get revenge.

Remind me at the end of the year I will have some seeds for you! Also I want a few that you have so maybe we can trade. I don't want to grow anymore right now, but next year will be fun.
- I'd love seed man and ill trade whatever you want.

...Continued...

It's kind of hard to keep up with a timeline since I didn't date most of these photos...during this season, I was lucky enough to be told by Pepper-Guru about AACT (Actively Aerated Compost Tea)
IMG_0362.jpg

-----> this really made my year amazing and I felt inclined to write a guideto aid beginners with using AACT.

Initially after using AACT, I began noticing major pod explosion on my caribbean red habaneros and orange habaneros...
Pepper201214.jpg

Pepper201215.jpg

Pepper201216.jpg

Pepper201217.jpg
...these were all from one plant.

Peppers2012July5th6.jpg
...Orange habanero

Peppers2012July5th28.jpg
...second Orange habanero plant

Pepper201245.jpg
...Black Thai hybrid

...During this time...I stumbled along a fellow members glog who had purchased seedlings from CCN (Cross Country Nurseries)...and with my early season hardships, I felt that could use a few more plants. So I placed an order for 4 Trinisdad Scorpions, 4 Yellow 7Pot, and 4 7Pot Douglah's.

They arrived in 3 days and had some aphid issues, but nothing major...
Pepper201248.jpg

and...potted up in smartpots...
Pepper201251.jpg

...it until a bump...

About a week or so after these photos were taken, I began to have some ripening pods...

Pepper201253.jpg

some of the first bird's eye

Peppers2012July5th27.jpg

Caribbean red habanero pods

Peppers2012July5th32.jpg

Jalapenos

Peppers2012July5th33.jpg

El Tio Chile

PeppersJuly2920122.jpg

some Orange habaneros peeking through

PeppersJuly2920123.jpg

a better underside habanero shot...

PeppersJuly2920121.jpg

Thai

Peppers2012July5th14.jpg

My first small harvest because I couldn't wait for some of them to fully ripen :party:

IMG_0378.jpg

A few ripe Caribbean habanero head 2 head ---> the far left was grown with conventional potting methods and the two on the right were grown in a smartpot. Taste wise they were equal, but the pod size is no comparison.

IMG_0369.jpg

This is the inside look of the first Caribbean red that I ate...and it set my ass on fire... :onfire: .... :mouthonfire: .... :censored: .... :banghead: .... :D

Thanks for looking guys...more to come...

Ok, sorry for the delay...

GHOST (1).JPG

first ghost of the season...first "real" ghost that I have had fresh....It was delicious. It was super sweet with a finish straight from the innermost depths of hell...haha. I made it about halfway on this monster pod with breakfast before I had to stop...outstanding pepper! Unfortunately, this pepper was leaps and bounds in front of the others so I didn't have anymore ripening pods for a while.

Harvest July 8, 2012 (3).JPG

this was my first real harvest of the year....

Harvest July 8, 2012 (5).JPG

Harvest July 8, 2012 (7).JPG

Harvest July 8, 2012 (9).JPG

a monster Caribbean Red habanero

Harvest July 8, 2012 (2).JPG

and a little garden dirtiness about.... :dance:

ok, this is a few weeks later (roughly the beginning of August) and all the rain and tea has really made pods take off....

IMG_0141.JPG

this was my first ghost harvest....took some of these babies to work and let the coworkers melt their faces off...it is still amazing to me that people think an orange habanero is the hottest pepper in the world...

IMG_0144.JPG

a cluster of the globe chili...these things are amazing...the more peppers you pluck off, the more it puts out and vice versa....if you leave the peppers on, no new growth...at all.

IMG_0146.JPG

A real orange habanero harvest waiting to be picked...I have noticed a jump in pod production and overall plant health by placing these planters on a 5 gallon bucket. As I water the plants, water collects in the bucket below and stays there...my theory is, as it gets hotter outside, the water evaporates and collects at the bottom of the container allowing the roots to stay hydrated without remaining in water....

IMG_0145.JPG

another photo of the same orange habanero

IMG_0147.JPG

banana pepper

IMG_0149.JPG

jalapeno planted in the same manner as the orange habanero....

IMG_0154.JPG

Thai plant...this plant amazes me year after year....loads of pods and all on fire.

IMG_0153.JPG

this Thai plant is roughly 5 foot tall and about 4 foot wide.

IMG_0143.JPG

bird's eye pepper....if you have never grown these they are a real treat. A rather compact plant with green pea sized fruits. The heat from these is instant and intense, but very short.

IMG_0152.JPG

regular container Caribbean red habanero.

IMG_0165.JPG

Smartpot Caribbean red habanero...this thing really turned out to be massive and an amazing producer...I quit counting after about 300 habaneros...

IMG_0169.JPG

Ghost bush

IMG_0170.JPG

some ripening pods...

more to come.....hope you enjoyed looking.

Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread.............very impressive!
Lush-loaded plants and some beautiful harvest photos.
I'll have to keep my eyes open for this one...

Greg

What size smartpots are you using? Do you find that the size of the container matters? AACT is an interesting concept.

Well, I started this year off later than expected.  I had a few varieties not want to germinate.

http://

So, instead of culling seedlings like usual, I split them from each other into separate solo cups to increase my overall number of seedlings.  Definitely some transplant shock, but hopefully the majority of the seedlings make it.

I watered them in really well, and now all I can do is wait.

More to come in a few days!

Back