• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Shima togarashi

A few have asked about these in the few days I've been here. I don't know too much about them other than its about the only locally grown pepper here in Okinawa, they're small and have a decent amount of heat, I can eat one whole and the effects only last 20 min or so....

I'm trying to grow some from seeds from some peppers that were given to me, I was just told the peppers were frozen as the plant produces alot more than my buddy uses, how will that affect them? If it doesn't affect them or if mine grow or sprout at least, I have a few peppers left I can get seeds from for trade if anyone is interested.

I'll try to add more info on them later, but if anyone wants to do their own research, google either shima togarashi or okinawan pepper or island hot pepper....

freezing will probably kill the seeds unless they were dehydrated first, and even then your germination rate will still be poor

So I have one that looks like it might sprout in the next few days.... Started some in a ziplock with a moist paper towel so I have more control over the temps as a second test....

So I used 3 in a bowl of chili today, they almost taste similar to ultra death sauce, with the same initial sting but no where near the overall heat.... Not quite habanero hot, either but close.... Still waiting on the seed tests, gonna try to get some fresh ones for seeds, as well....

The way the locals use them is to soak them in awamori, something like sake, and add it to soba....

IMG_0368.jpg

Resurr-erecting this to see if anyone else has grown/is growing these. One of my coworkers just mentioned them to me while discussing kimchi; thinking it'd be fun to see if I can get seeds to have another local variety.

Back