• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

consistency thickening the sauce (HELP)

i make 1gal. at a time of bbq sauce and can it. and i wish it would come out like moms used to real thick and tacky YUM! but iam looking for ideas to get it this way ANY HELP?

Welcome macdaddy. Why not introduce yourself in the welcome area? For BBQ sauce I use thick tomato sauce and sometimes maple syrup or mallasas. Just let things simmer till its thick enough. It should thicken further when cooled too.

well i would rather not try to change any flavors thought maybe some kind of thickening agent of sorts but dont really have a clue!!!!!!!!!!!! if i use syrup or moll. then cut back on my brn. sug. i would guess?

2-3 hrs probably has consistancy of most commercial sauces. just need a way to thicken it up without changing the flavor. took me a long time to get it where it is but i would prefer thicker. what about corn starch or something? if i did use that for 1 gal. i just dont know how much to start with! THANKS for any help you have

xantan gum maybe 3 tsp or less cook it out and make sure you stir otherwise it will stick, it will thicken it corn starch will too but is more likely to discolour.

flaxseed powder would be another way to, with the same directions as above using xantan gum. You can get flaxseed at almost any health food store, n just grind your own as you need it. A coffee grinder works great to grind the seeds.

I use Arrowroot powder as a thickener for lots of things and it doesn't change or add any flavors or color. I would try it in about a cup of your sauce first to get the right consistency.

You can usually get Arrowroot in health food stores or order it from spice companies on-line.

first off answer me this....when you cook or simmer your sauce.....do you cover the pot with a lid? If you do....try cooking it uncovered....When I make my bbq sauces I use the lid only when I am boiling my veggies down....after that it stays uncovered...if I cover it, it is tooo thin...when I make my hot sauce I cook it covered with a lid

I would use arrowroot. I do mine with the peppers cooked in aluminum foil in the oven, roasted peppers, onions, garlic, and I have to dilute with vinegar to thin it out. If you are boiling, you are using too much water to start with it sounds like. Back off and use a steamer.

John

No need for any thickening agents really. Simply simmer and reduce to desired consistency. Arrowroot and corn starch are great thickeners for "in the saute' pan" things, Chinese cuisine coming to mind forthright. Xanthum gum is indeed a commercial thickener found in many retail products, generally used as not only a thickener but also as a binder. Unless you are doing huge commercial batches, the aforementioned agents are unnecessary. Reduction is better.
Cheers, TB.

Back