• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help a newbie out?

So this coming year I was looking at finally trying to germinate some super-hots, in particular the bhut jolokia. Other than some small tests I did last year I have not germinated any pepper seeds, or any plants for that matter and I just wanted to ask some questions
1. What equipment do you use? (germination trays, heat mats etc.). last year when I tried germinating by using a cup coverd in saran wrap under a lamp and all but 1/10 spouted
2. What kind of soil is used I've heard of the soil mixes people use with vermiculite, sand etc. are there any of these that I could pick up from a hardware store?
3. After the seeds do germinate does the soil mix need to be changed to something different?
4. If I were to do these plants this year and just keep them in a sunny window sill through the winter would the plants still grow well?
Basically any help would be appreciated, any bit of information to germinating seeds for a newbie.

hello,you should post under welcome and say hi to everyone. every question you asked theres several threads for your answers you can use the search tool,or just look threw threads. great site full of info and tons of people willing to help. enjoy and :welcome:

:welcome: to THP and Greetings from the Metrolina - North Carolina !
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] "The taste is followed by a vicious hot spicy bite"[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :flamethrower:[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :onfire:[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]All the answers to your ??? and MUCH more is in the GROWING FORUM. Go to that Forum and enter 'germinating' (or whatever topic you want ) in the search box at the top right of the page.[/background]

I've germinated bhut jolokias by using a humidity dome in jiffy pellets and regular potting mix. Early on in the germination process they like high humidity and 80-85 degrees. After they sprout get rid of that humidity dome. That's all there is to it.

I would read this over a few times it is basic and it worked,,

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/28409-spankyscolts-2012-glog/page__hl__%2Bspankyscolts+%2Bglog

I've germinated bhut jolokias by using a humidity dome in jiffy pellets and regular potting mix. Early on in the germination process they like high humidity and 80-85 degrees. After they sprout get rid of that humidity dome. That's all there is to it.

what he said ^^^^

#1 thing is to acquire your seeds from a reputable seed vendor or a well respected THP member.

At the very least you can eliminate 'dead' seeds from the equation.

As far as germinating, I've tried a lot of those methods when you do a search... the damp paper towel & baggie, Jiffy pellets & dome, scarification, chamomile tea, epson salt, h2o2, etc... one or the other or a mix of all the methods others have used... all done on a heat mat... I did pretty well and it wasn't all that difficult... I think the biggest thing (besides getting good seeds) that made all the difference was my heat temp gun... and by being able to accurately keep the temps at 80°F made it all that much easier without having to guess if it was too cold or too hot.

I started growing my first superhots just about a week and a half ago. I had just received the seed I had ordered from Peter at La Palma (semillas.de). Here's what I did and here's my progress.

First, I went to several sources, including the threads on this site as mentioned by others. While there is debate among chiliheads about whether or not to soak the seeds first, I realized that at the very least it wouldn't hurt to do so. Some had suggested using a 10% mix of Hydrogen Peroxide in the water to help clean up the seeds just in case. So I ended up soaking the seeds overnight for approximately 24 hours.

Next, I planted one seed per hydrocube. I personally swear by the hydrocubes, as does the retailer I get them from. I have had great success with them, especially in sprouting chiltepins, which many consider difficult to sprout. These cubes retain the proper amount of water, while shedding off excess water. I did NOT pre-soak my chiltepin seeds, and they still came up quickly.

I also planted a whole tray of different tomato seeds after soaking for just 6 hours, and most have come up very quickly.

Using my heater, the temperature fluctuates between 80-90 degrees F during the day, dropping to 70 degrees overnight.

In my spare bedroom, I have a grow light, a cheap thermometer, and a small heater. I know this isn't optimum, but I'll have to wait to upgrade to heat mats.

Here are some pictures of my setup and my progress:

8287644463_f3a33e1eb8_m.jpg

8288700650_f8d34208c9_m.jpg

8288702554_bfb6842f92_m.jpg

From left to right: Habaneros in the silver tray, planted on 12/11, left black tray is various tomato varieties planted on 12/11, middle black tray is various chilies, including Bhut Jolokias planted on 12/8, and right black tray, back half (toward wall) is chilies including Scorpions planted on 12/8, and front half chiltepins and a few others planted approximately 12/1.

8288698976_2a1e76d744_m.jpg

Bhut Jolokias

8288697890_92513d390f_m.jpg

A different angle of the Bhuts

8288696082_1e237e32a8_m.jpg

Trinidad Scorpions

8288694682_7a73b4e78d_m.jpg

My earliest starts of chiltepins, rocotos, and covincho. The empty spaces are ones I have already transplanted because they had four leaves and the roots were showing through the bottom of the cube.

From a 1 sy year grower (2012). There are soooooo many peppers. But choose a few. And focus on the small amount. Once u get the hang of it. Then go all out. I did the opposite and had more downs then ups. Good luck growing form. SoCal. So many people here that have the passion go grow !! Live and learn

Back