• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Ghost pepper?

Sooo, I just found out my Aji Limon seeds were contaminated with some kind of hot pepper I haven't grown before.
I looked at pictures of Bhut Jolokia peppers and they look very similar.
The pods are all still green, but I picked one anyway to try....it is HOT! The spicy smell is much stronger than the Habanero I've grown.

I took a pic of the green pod this morning...it dried out a little, but maybe someone can tell if it is the Ghost pepper....
I'll try to get some more, better pictures soon.

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

Here's the better pictures....
I have some of these plants growing in a greenhouse and some growing in raised beds. They are very lush with dark green wide leaves.
The first two pics are from in the greenhouse. The plants and pods are significantly larger than the ones grown outside.
IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

These next two pics are from outside.
You can see one of the pods is starting to turn yellow.

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

They look more like bih jolokias than ghost chiles. They are real hot too, heh.

Edit: hmm, they are turning yellow? Maybe they are fataliis. They are too smooth to be ghost chiles. The only way to tell is to eat it when it's ripe.

The look like Tuscan peppers but you say they're super hot eh ?

I'd give em time to turn.

Nothing like a mystery pepper- leaves you wondering - COULD THIS BE THE ONE ! :P)

Ok, one turned bright yellow...and I decided to try some of it. I popped less than a quarter of the pepper, seedless, without any ribs, into my mouth...and experienced the hottest pepper I've ever tasted. Just before I tasted this one, I ate half of a Lemon pepper, and was totally fine with the level of heat. I didn't know what heat was!!! Wow! The mystery pepper had a lot of flavor. Could it be a yellow Bhut?

Not sure what they are but they are Very nice looking pods when they ripen - where did you get the seed from and what other plants did that person have growing ( might help narrow down the possibilities if you know what else they had ) -- from the pics looks like you will have plenty of them whatever they are !!

I have some on the plants now, so I'll leave them to see if they change into anything other than yellow. The color in real life is slightly oranger than the picture portrays.
Someone bought the seeds for me to grow...and I think he got them from places such as Walmart.
Last year I grew the Lemons for him, and no 'mystery' peppers showed up...I use the same seed this year, and got quite a bit of contamination. It must have varied from seed packet to seed packet.
The seed companies I generally order pepper seeds from don't carry Aji Limon seeds....so I don't know a reliable place to get seed for next year. (No, I won't go to Walmart to get them...)

Some of those pods look very similar to my Naga Morich pods but others look like they are close to 3x the size and mine never turned yellow either they went straight from Green to red. Not quite as Gnarly either but I think mine are freaks as I've never seen another Morich quite so bumpy, only things like Infinity and Primos.

All in all they look quite tasty and if they have a Naga Morich smell and taste with a yellow cross somewhere it could be a very tasty pepper indeed.

They look bhut-y to me but not like my red bhuts completely. But the shape and inside look very very similar.. DO they smell at all chlorine-ish or otherwise chemically when they are green and cut open? That's how I describe my bhuts when i smelle them esp when they are completely green (reds ar ea bit fruitier but not very)?/ They look like mine so id say they might be crossed with a bhut at least..or another naga since they are all pretty similar looking.. I got some dorset nagas today that look almost identical to my bhuts.. couldnt pick them apart if i jumbled them up but they are tagged.

Opps, not sure why I said bih jolokia earlier. I must have not looked close enough!

They look a little different than my yellow bhut jolokias. I'm sure there are more than one type out there though.

Here are mine:
7830040790_77e678e094_c.jpg

4 pods from the same plant:
7830045526_c738489321_c.jpg

Back