• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji Russian Yellow Review

I had purchased some seeds from the English Language portion of semillas.de - http://www.semillas.de/home/strato/www/me/www.merle-online.de/htdocs/cgi-bin/shop_en/shop.cgi

The vedor is now a member here - http://thehotpepper.com/user/6297-semillas/

Something labeled as "Aji Russian Yellow." intrigued me, so I bought a packet. They were easy to sprout and I am growing 2 plants in my garden.

I'll post 3 pics at the end of the review:

Unlike their Lemon Drop cousins, these do not take 3+ months to mature. After 60 days, I pulled 3 or 4 ripe pods, and many others are almost ready to pic.

I partially deseeded one for my seed bank, and bit into it. With the first bite, I took almost the entire pod in my mouth, leaving off the very back piece. My mouth was flooded with citrus flavor. This was much more concentrated than a Lemon Drop. I was a little dissapointed with the heat level. I'm guessing around 35,000 scovilles. Then I ate the back piece and BANG, the heat hit me! I understand that more heat is concentrated in the placenta near the stem, but the difference between the placenta and the rest was a lot more than I usually experience. I don't know what scoville numbers that Cayanne type pods can max out at, but this piece was the hottest of this pod type that I have ever eaten. Not quite a hab, but maybe >200,000 scovilles.

I'll eat some more pods, some whole, others in the same manner as this test, and will write back, sharing the experience:

293b185e.jpg

fd6c77b7.jpg

6162f919.jpg

Wow, a Baccatum that matures early, and a flavor explosion to boot? They even seem like they'd be ok to pickle.

I know what new variety i'm planting next year :)

That site has a few unusual varieties that i don't remember seeing elsewhere, thanks for sharing.

wow that looks like a winner, every time I think I have a plan for next year already set...something cool like this comes up.

Interesting... I obtained mine from the same source but found them to be less citrusy than the Aji Lemon. The taste I get is "passionfruity". Citrusy and fruity. Definitely sweet too as you mentioned, dragon.

Although the second round of pods being produced by my plant are looking crinkly like yours, the first lot actually looked a lot more like Aji Lemon--only larger:

IMG_7443.jpg

Ripper of a chilli. One of my new favourites! :D

Very nice, do you have a pic of the whole plant? I'm searching a variety similar to Lemon Drop but faster and with a more compact growth pattern, this one seems to fit the bill.

Cya

Datil

Sorry, Datil, this is about the best I have ATM:

IMG_7192.jpg

I found it to be maybe a little bit faster than Aji Lemon (but then Aji Lemon has never really been slow or anything for me) and no more compact. If anything, Aji Lemon seems to be the more compact one to me.

However, I have only grown the one Russian Yellow plant so far though so I haven't had a chance to really compare the two.

Yours looks like it has a nice sprawl to it, dragon... mine just wanted to grow up, up, up!

One thing I like about about these types of baccatums is the sprawl.... looks cool if you ask me. :cool:

The only other baccatum I have grown was a Lemon Drop. I don't rememver if it sprawled, but I was very tall and very woody. This is better. I am getting more pods per space taken and the pods mature at least 1 month earlier.

Funny.... growth-style has been the opposite here.

Aji_Limon-8.jpg

Although I've heard many reports of Aji Lemon (Lemon Drop?) taking it's time, like I said, I personally have never had a problem with them--always been quick as sticks for me. IIRC, my Russian Yellow *did* produce and mature a little bit earlier than my Aji Lemons... but it would have been a matter of a couple weeks at most.

Crazy, huh?

Maybe there is a difference between Aji Lemon and Lemon Drop... I've always been under the impression they were the same plant.

Or maybe different climates or something??

I am too tired to find pics now, but I believe that the Lemon drop are the pods of the same size as the Aji Russian Yellows we have been posting. The Aji Lemon or Aji Limon as it is sometimes called is the same thing but shorter 1/2 to 1/3 shorter.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Back