• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

First Attempt at Ghost Pepper Salsa

I figured I would try making some ghost pepper salsa for the first time last night. I'm big on making things look as good as they taste, so I decided to use yellow brandywine tomatoes, cilantro, purple onion, and garlic along with the ghost pepper. I put in a touch of salt and some white pepper, but they weren't really necessary. I added vinegar as a preservative to extend how long it will last in the fridge. The big mistake I made was going to one ghost pod instead of the two I originally took out and photographed. It was very hot, but not nuclear which was a bit disappointing.

IMG_0284.JPG

I couldn't resist taking the end off of the ghost pepper for a snack before dicing the rest and tossing it in. It had this amazing smell, sort of like some type of melon that you can't place, that make it impossible to stop myself from eating some.

IMG_0287.JPG

Into the pot all the yummy stuff goes...

IMG_0290.JPG

And there is my first attempt at ghost pepper salsa. I ended up adding a bit too much vinegar so it turned out just a bit on the watery side. I give the taste an 8.5, and I will improve that as I use up the 50-100 pods that are coming down the road. The heat was a 7 at best by bhut standards, and I will definitely use two or even three pods the next time I try making this. The colour is still amazing the next day, and I am perfectly happy with how it looks.

IMG_0293.JPG

I don't know if this qualifies as anything all that extreme, but I wanted to use this part of the boards and it is what it is.

Very cool. I am planning on making some hab/cayenne/jalapeno salsa before too long. Just need to wait for a few more ripe tomatoes. I am going to try to use all home grown ingredients, with the exception of the vinegar. My dad grew some garlic in his garden this year... so I will probably try to pilfer some of that too. :)

Looks awesome!

That looks awesome!

I don't know if this qualifies as anything all that extreme, but I wanted to use this part of the boards and it is what it is.

Hahah it's just the name of the membership that's all. Anything goes!

Yeah well, I was hoping for something that was a bit more extreme for my first thread in this section, and it didn't quite work out that way. At least it looks pretty!

Back