• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Something eating my bhuts?

I went into my garden and found that there was some damage on two bhut pods, one on each of the two bhut plant that I have growing. I was wondering if someone who has seen similar damage can help identify what it is so I can deal with it.

This shows the damage to the pods on the outside.
IMG_0322.JPG

I decided to cut into the pods to see whether any damage was done on the inside as well.
IMG_0325.JPG

There was no damage on the inside so I decided to freeze the pods for later. I noticed the pool of capsaicin, which I though was photo-worthy. I made the mistake of touching these with my fingers and there is quite a burn going. Definitely no self love tonight.
IMG_0326.JPG

I have had a few like that this year, Butch T's specifically. I have no idea what is doing it, but my list of suspects include birds, grasshoppers and cucumber beetles.

It surprises me that cucumber beetles are on this list. I have had them gnawing at my cucumber leaves this year and I know they have been around my peppers, but I would not expect them to try to feast on a pod.

It surprises me that cucumber beetles are on this list. I have had them gnawing at my cucumber leaves this year and I know they have been around my peppers, but I would not expect them to try to feast on a pod.

Like I said, I do not have any idea really. I found them all over my peppers around the same time. I have seen them eating on the opened flowers but not pods. I had a lot of grasshoppers hanging around too.

Back