• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Sun burnt leaves?

I've recently hardened my plants off. A few of the leaves look like this.
30DC5A3B-D20A-4A89-BF4B-32119E3020BF-3252-000005319908A17E.jpg

349C28D7-5B60-4C69-9CD5-1F00D4BDE076-3252-000005319FC0F759.jpg

Is it sun burn and will they be ok?
Thanks in advance!

Sun burn generally turns leaves white, but yes, could be accompanied by brown spotting. The leaves that turn white won't return to green, but the plant itself will be fine and new growth will come in green. Take the hardening off process a tad slower next year if you want to prevent this.

Yup, looks like sun damage.

One of my Trinidad Scorpions lost all but 2 leaves when I first put it out (no hardening off, I was impatient and inexperienced) and it came back fine. Definitely smaller than the others now though.

Well, at least the silver part looks like sun damage. Mine didn't turn brown at all, but maybe that's the mid-point between "fine" and "Sweet Jesus, why did you just fry the crap out of that poor baby plant, why, why, why?"

I was slowly leaving them in the sun. An hr longer each day. Then I got stuck away from home and they spent a full day in the sun. Ironic because I too got sun burnt that day. Damn Aussie winters.

Reactions: nee
I've got a plant that's looks just like that I've also got a couple I have cremated but still a few green shoots :) the joys of being new

My first year growing from seed, I put all mine out way to early and the leaves all turned a shiney bronze color. They looked reflective, almost like brown aluminum foil.

Back