• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics how much longer until peppers start growing? (pics)

Hey how much longer until my peppers start to flower and/or grow peppers, this is my first time ever growing any plant.
Trinidad scorpion butch t

4fL7Fh.jpg

1Ceb5h.jpg

FrtEVh.jpg

2lX3kh.jpg

(The big ones, not little ones)
z0MEjh.jpg

They do take some time, I think they can take up to 100-120 days to full mature. Btw your plants looks awsome and healthy, are you growing in those store bags?

Yes in 50 cent walmart bags , thank you for nice comment.

as far as 100-120 days to mature, i'm asking how much longer from the size of it do you think before I even start to see a baby pepper? right now its just leaves

well, its hard to say, what are you feeding it? are they outside all the time? try adding a fert with a lower N level, my plants are putting out flowers by the time they are the size yours are

To be honest its hard to tell me from that size, i got some i saved from last year, i trimmed back, and repotted in january, they are 2x the size of yours, and i just found some flowers on there. so for me its really hard to say.
and if you go with a fert that may be higher in the middle number,it may help force to start flowering.

They always seem to form pods when they aren't watched.

If I neglect my plants for a day or two, sure enough next time I inspect there will be pods. As long as they have been growing enough to be mature that is.

Hate to say it, but you will need to grow them inside when colder temps hit, to get them to produce! Since you live in a hotter climate you have a longer grow season, so you may be able to keep the plants outside till late Octoberish? Good luck!

I'm no expert take what I say with a grain of salt, lol! But stop the MG use let them do their thing. They look plenty healthy veg wise. An MG just keeps them in an all veg mode. An mine took about a month from that size to their first pods. Then roughly two months for picking ripe pods. An I only used MG half strength tomatoe food once on mine this year. With a light side dressing of organic 5-5-5 about a month and a half latter after they looked as if they needed it. Hopefully being in Texas you atleast have one rush before the seasons up. Good luck

Edit: Two months from the size they are now til ripe pods. After reading sounds like three! An upon further viewing of your photos I see a yellowishness (if that's a word) which indicates over fertilization in our new younger leaves. Seen that in my plants this year with the one use of MG. An new tender young growth attracts aphids! So just watch for them pesky b's!

on pic 2 I see the beginnings of flower buds at the fork in the main stem

I seen that to. An a little yellowing around that area. Which from what I've learned if you don't lay off the ferts you'll experience flower drop. Unless maybe it's a bloom booster. Which correct me if I'm wrong? But no MG I've seen on the market commercially is. They're all about growth!

Edit: Even at this stage it took two months for my plants to produce ripe pods. Due to flower drop, climate and heat. Hopefully he/she's out of that neck of the woods! An as I said earlier hope they get atleast one rush before the seasons over. An not trying to underline your knowledge Jeff. I went threw this myself this year. Once you learn to not watch them everyday, good things happen!

The MG Shake and Feed is just a granularized slow release 10-10-10 (N-P-K). IF used as directed I doubt it's going to be a problem although ideally your ferts would now have more P than N. However if you are having to water the plants frequently due to hot weather then the fertilizer may be releasing faster than they intended it to. I would hold off giving them any more fertilizer for a while.

Like a couple others I also see what looks like it might be the beginnings of bug growth where the plant is forking but not only on the first fork but also the third set of forks on one pic but it's hard to say for certain from the pic. When you start seeing new clusters of leaves right after a fork that is usually a sign it's about to grow buds there, though if it stays too hot it could abort them or the subsequent blooms.

Although your plants may slow down in growth quite a bit around Oct. or Nov due to both cooler nights and shorter days (less light), you might even be able to keep these growing longer, seems to be hit or miss if you'll get below freezing before the start of next year. If at that point they forecast it's going to frost overnight, pull them in closer to the house and throw bedsheets over them for protection from night till late morning the next day.

It is more a temperature thing than size of the plant --- once the weather starts to cool down a bit you'll get more flowers - I started my Bhut plant back in the beginning of February and just recently got 2 pods to form (lost one to a wind storm a few days later) -- The plant had about 100 flowers when we got a cool spell for 4 days but all but 2 of them dropped once the heat returned! - Until recently all of the flower buds would dry up and drop off before even blooming due to the heat but give the plants some time and keep them healthy and once the weather conditions improve they will show up ! Here is a pic of my plant and the single pod that I took the other day with the pod location marked and a closeup of the pod. Your plants look healthy so just keep them growing and when the time is right you'll see a bunch of flowers form. (then it'll be "How long until these pods ripen !" as they sometimes take a month or so to fully develop -- Each step takes time and when your waiting it seems to take longer !!)

bhutpod02.jpg

Wow, those are a very dark green! They are looking close to growing buds (usually when the plant makes a lot of nodes on the top they start budding). Plant budding varies a bit.

Back